Recent Posts

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10
Aviation Accidents/Incidents / Re: breaking news. news helicopter crash
« Last post by Chananya Freedman on November 22, 2022, 03:53:59 PM »
just saw some other information. this a WBTV news helicopter that crash landed on I77. i am trying to find as much information as i can but i am going to stop soon.
Aviation Accidents/Incidents / breaking news. news helicopter crash
« Last post by Chananya Freedman on November 22, 2022, 03:38:33 PM »
just received a news notification from fox news on my phone saying that a news helicopter crashed with two people killed. i don't know where this has happened and it is hard to read the actual article. anyone else have information?
Aviation Audio Clips / Re: What I heard on Guard today...
« Last post by pinger on November 21, 2022, 05:08:05 PM »
And a couple days ago...
Aviation Audio Clips / What I heard on Guard today...
« Last post by pinger on November 21, 2022, 05:06:46 PM »
What I heard on Guard today...
Story from AVH, here's the audio, the damage, wow.

An American Airlines Boeing 737-800, registration N846NN performing flight AA-1855 from Chicago O'Hare,IL to Kansas City,MO (USA) with 139 people on board, was on approach to Kansas City's runway 01R about to join the right hand downwind while descending through 6000 feet about 8nm abeam of the runway when the crew declared emergency reporting they had received a bird strike and had lost their airspeed indicators. The crew reported they had the runway in sight and were instantly cleared for the visual approach for runway 01R. The aircraft continued for a safe landing on runway 01R about 8 minutes after the bird strike. There were no injuries, the aircraft sustained substantial damage.

The FAA reported: "AIRCRAFT STRUCK A FLOCK OF GEESE AND POST FLIGHT INSPECTION REVEALED DAMAGE TO THE NOSE AND LEADING EDGE OF RIGHT WING, KANSAS CITY, MO.", the damage was UNKNOWN.

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/AAL1855/history/20221116/0200Z/KORD/KMCI
Listener Forum / Puget sound area
« Last post by SEA-PAE on November 19, 2022, 02:21:54 AM »
  I live in the puget sound region and I enjoy listening to air traffic control communications. LiveATC has been very helpful for listening to air traffic control in the area, since I get poor reception of even aircraft. The Seatac feeds that were added in late 2020 significantly improved coverage for the airport and the seattle TRACON. However, these feeds could have some improvements over what they currently are. The clearance frequency has been missing since the feeds were first added, and the final approach frequency (my personal favorite) has been missing for around a year. the Seatac feeds have relatively poor reception, and can't receive transmissions from aircraft not close and in view of the receiver. The receiver seems to be on the west side of the airport, so the ramp control can only be barely picked up.

There are less feeds in the area than there were when the seatac feeds were added. the single frequency feeds for boeing field (BFI) have been removed a while ago leaving just a combined feed (which has only been receiving the tower frequency lately) and the feeds for Paine Field (PAE) and Thun Field (PLU) have recently been removed.

If you lives near an airport in the area or know someone who can upload a feed, I have attached a word document with a list of tower, tracon, and center  frequencies in the puget sound area and their sectors and transmitter locations. (which would be a great resource on its own.)
Sorry guys I don’t have an English link right now because it has just broke on Spanish television

https://www.jpost.com/health-and-wellness/mind-and-spirit/article-721486

found this "interesting", wondering commercial Pilots,what are your thoughts ?

American pilots tend to have less emotional intelligence than other Americans, according to a recent academic study.

The findings of this study, published in the peer-reviewed academic journal Scientific Reports, shed light on a metric not often studied among pilots, which could actually help play a role in training pilots in the future.

What is emotional intelligence?
The term emotional intelligence refers to one's ability and capacity to understand, see and handle emotions.  The expression was first coined in the 1960s but gained popularity in the 90s, kicking off decades of research.

A person with a particularly high amount of emotional intelligence will have a better understanding of both their own emotions and those of others. This, in turn, can help with adjusting emotions and understanding situations.

Having high emotional intelligence comes with other benefits, too. For example, prior academic work has pointed to a correlation - although not a causation - between high emotional intelligence and strong leadership skills and positive mental health.

Because emotional intelligence is very useful in the workplace, especially when your job requires dealing with other people, there has been considerable research on the subject and its impact on various sectors, such as healthcare or education.

However, when it comes to the world of flight, the emotional intelligence of pilots has not been studied much before, although limited and inconclusive studies were conducted on military pilots.This is what the study ought to change.

US pilots: Flying high, but feeling fine?
There are two methods when it comes to studying emotional intelligence: Ability EI, which is about using emotional knowledge in a social setting, and Trait EI, which is about self-assessment and self-perception of one's emotional abilities. This study deals with the latter - which makes sense, considering how pilots don't usually interact with other people on the job in comparison to other professions, such as teachers.

According to the study, trait EI is also linked to factors such as mental fortitude, leadership and stress management - traits that are essential for pilots.

To examine these factors, the researchers enlisted a cohort of 44 pilots as participants, each of whom had considerable flight experience. This was contrasted with an 88-strong non-pilot control group, and both groups had taken the TEIQue questionnaire, which is used to study Trait AI.

The questionnaire's findings revealed that pilots scored lower than the control group.

But why is this? The researchers aren't sure, but they have some ideas. For one thing, blame may lie with the culture that surrounds the profession of pilots in general.

Emotional intelligence flies under the radar
"Pilots have long been associated with a masculine culture that emphasizes aggressiveness, competition, and performance orientation," the researchers note, pointing out that the pilot work culture promotes a sense of invulnerability over human weakness. This, in turn, may lead to pilots, mostly male but some female as well, who reflect these cultural traits thanks to the training process.

In other words, pilots may be trained to have less trait emotional intelligence, albeit unintentionally. The study itself is not without flaws, however, due to the sample size and the range of jobs held by the participants.

The study sample size was small and not very diverse, with almost all of the pilots being white males with college backgrounds - although having a college degree may be necessary to make a living as a pilot.

The second flaw was that most of the pilots weren't necessarily just commercial pilots, but were, or currently are, in the military. This raises the question if the military was involved in this as well.

Ultimately, more research is needed to better ascertain the level of trait emotional intelligence among pilots. And that, in turn, could lead to better training and work culture that would place greater value on emotional intelligence.
Listener Forum / Re: KCLT
« Last post by swawkbox on November 16, 2022, 10:11:47 PM »
No feed volunteers.  If you know someone who lives near the airport, send them to the Feed Volunteer Form:  https://www.liveatc.net/ct/fcontact.php 

I'd be glad to help online or in person, either direct assistance or answering questions.

The cost is $200-300 depending on your setup.

ARTCC/FIR/TRACON Maps / Jepp Enroute Comm Maps/ATL Radio
« Last post by jsoergel on November 16, 2022, 03:36:21 PM »
Does anyone have access to the Jeppesen Airway Manual Enroute section? I have the ARINC VHF map but I was hoping to get the current ATL Radio map and dial-up sections. Have an old copy, but nothing recent.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10