Aviation > Pilot/Controller Forum

dep frequency within the NY Tracon

<< < (3/3)

keith:

--- Quote ---The controller probably sounded annoyed because when you're on an IFR flight plan and receiving radar service by ATC it's not your responsibility to make sure you're cleared through the Delta....it's the controller's who is providing you service and he knows where the airspace is.

--- End quote ---

When I said "prior to IFR cancellation", I meant I was in the process of canceling, which would've left me VFR and about to fly into the Delta airspace.  I agree that while under IFR, you don't have to worry about the airspace.

Regarding the weather distinction, there appears to be no correlation between weather conditions and the dep freq.  I'm going to have to go with this one:

--- Quote ---If that's not it, then maybe some controllers coordinate IFR departures off N07 to go straight to the departure frequency, and some prefer not to.

--- End quote ---

I'm fairly certain that in either case, the N90 controller tells CDW local that there will be an IFR launching out of N07. CDW must then either be saying "you keep him" or "send him my way".  More often than not, I'm sent to the TRACON freq.

--- Quote ---So, if CDW is VFR, you will talk to them before NY Tracon because they're providing visual separation with CDWs IFR arrivals.  If there aren't any inbounds to CDW, they probably coordinate with CDW tower that N07 departures will go straight to Departure.

--- End quote ---

That does sound completely logical, and in the spirit of the LOA that mentioned. There was one occasion, though, where the ceiling was 800ft and I was sent to CDW tower.  There was no way he was going to be visually separating anything, except perhaps for any wreckage that might come floating back down :) 

I'm guessing that this is a subtle nuance in the LOA that isn't executed the same every single time.  Again, no biggie....a dep freq is a dep freq :)

It's been a useful discussion, thx.

n07cfi:
When I depart IFR out of N07, 9.5 times out of 10 I will be told to contact NY Approach after departure.  Of the 0.5 times I was specifically asked to contact KCDW as the initial freq (departing in VFR conditions but under IFR/void time) , when I called tower they sounded like they had no idea why I was calling them and just tell me to switch to Approach.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version