airtraffic

Author Topic: scanner in europe?  (Read 4506 times)

Offline PIT

scanner in europe?
« on: March 15, 2007, 10:57:15 AM »
Hi guys i have aquestion about mobile scanners and europe. i am going to europe on the 28th, i leave pittsburgh and arrive in Berlin, and than from Zurich to Pittsburgh. all on Delta. My question is would i be able to take my scanner with me on the plane and through security without being stoped. i take it everywher in america but i wasent sure about europe?

Offline sunburn

• flickr.
Re: scanner in europe?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2007, 06:39:51 PM »
i shouldn't see why not. from what i understand it's not illegal to own scanners in germany soo...
... maybe on the safe side you should just keep it in your suitcase, but this isn't fun if you wanna do some sneaky listening on the plane.

Offline kiwisteve

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2007, 10:33:31 PM »
I took a portable vhf / uhf amateur radio around NZ  no problems with that at all in planes   the only concern was the magnetic external antenna for the car roof   it had a  1/4 wave long stainless steel spike / rod    that wasn't allowed in plane cabin  , apparently could be used as a weapon !!  hmmmm
so I cant see a problem . But don't try to use it during takeoffs and landing. Cabin staff get a bit sensitive !

S

Offline PIT

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2007, 11:30:11 PM »
thanks guys!!!

Offline seanh00700

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2007, 06:03:59 AM »
Hey PIT,

you can take the scanner on the plane with you, I alway have mine on me also,

just going through the airport you will have to but it in to be x-rayed but this is ok as I have have mine done about 20 -25 times now and no affect as yet !!!

the TSA agent that scan's the scanner mite just ask you a few thing about it and he will ask you to turn it on to show is working !!!

here in europe you can own and use a scanner as long as you don't listen in on the police/fire/phones and airband in the UK unless you have a R/T Licence....

hope this help's

.....Sean.....