Author Topic: Question regarding antennas...  (Read 4588 times)

Offline N620AA

Question regarding antennas...
« on: March 18, 2007, 11:01:36 AM »
Hi there:

I am sure you guys get this often, so sorry for being such a newbie.  :oops:

I live 5-10 minutes away from Luis Muñoz Marin Int'l. Airport in San Juan PR, and I'd love to set up a feed. I read the FAQ's, and the only thing I am not really sure about is which antenna to choose. Here are the facts:

- As I said, I live about 5-10 minutes from the airport.
 - San Juan is flat (at least the stretch between me and the airport), so there is no significant terrain.
 - My apartment faces in the opposite direction of the airport (not sure if this is a factor, but I assume it is).
 - I live on an 8th floor, and I have a balcony where I could set up the antenna.
 - There are only a few tall buildings between me and the airport.
 - Some of the Center frequencies go as low as 118.150, but the Tower frequency is 132.050, so I suppose I need to cover most (if not all) of the frequency range to be able to do both. Even APP is 119.400.
 - I am willing to invest around $200-250 in an antenna if need be, but any less would be great.

What would you guys suggest I do?  :?

Thanks in advance,
Daniel P.

Offline janetva.net

• janetva.net
Re: Question regarding antennas...
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2007, 02:57:48 PM »
I would suggest building your own (Quarter Wave Ground Plane)

I have 2 scanner feeds running with mine at a total cost of under $6.00 for both of them together !!!

They out perform all scanner and is equal or better then any aircraft 1/4 wave antennas on the market the only thing better then this would be a 5/8 wave however if you don't need that extra 3dbi then just make your own 1/4 wave ground plane its cheap and will work great !

About you living on the opposite side of the airport and the tall buildings in your way, yes this could be a factor so I would do a lot of testing before even considering putting up a feed IE: can you hear both planes and controllers? is it clear? are you getting good signals ?

Good luck with this fun hobby :-)

"Don't waste your money on a store antenna !"
« Last Edit: March 18, 2007, 03:17:28 PM by janetva.net »

Offline kiwisteve

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2007, 12:54:58 AM »
I would agree  don't buy a so called ( Scanner Antenna )  normally low gain on any Frequency  !!    The suggested 1/4 wave ground plane works well   so does a Half wave folded dipole for air band centre  , with Balun and Coax 
you may be able to get some ideas from the amateur radio site

www.arrl.org

Steve

Down Under !

Offline dan9125

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2007, 04:59:09 PM »
If your 5 minutes from the airport on the 8th floor the antenna that came with your scanner should work fine. I would try that first and see if you can hear the tower.

Dan