Author Topic: Question for Pilots  (Read 3863 times)

Offline Fryy/Avocadoflight

• CalAggieFlyers
Question for Pilots
« on: February 08, 2008, 06:53:57 PM »
Im about half way into my Private but I'm currently prohibited from night flying and color signal control due to color blindness. During my physical I got zero out of six on the color test, like this one http://www.leftseat.com/colortest.htm
My instructor has the same color blindness and explained how to remove the restriction by taking a test with the faa. Im just curious if anyone here has gone through any similar test's for the color restriction and if its difficult to pursue a career in aviation?

Offline Jason

• CFI/CFII
Re: Question for Pilots
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2008, 07:32:34 PM »
It depends what your ultimate goal is in professional aviation.  Many airlines ask prospective employees, in addition to having a 1st class medical, whether or not the applicant holds a waiver for that 1st class medical.  In this case, it is better to get a "letter of competence" which authorizes an AME to issue an unrestricted first class medical based on previous demonstrated ability to see colors.

The other alternative is a SODA (Statement Of Demonstrated Ability) which can be obtained by the FAA through any FSDO.  This will remove the night flight restriction on your current medical, but may preclude you from employment from airlines that do not hire pilots who hold waivers to their medical certificate.  Another negative is that the failure of a signal light test generally results in a permanent restriction on an airman's medical certificate prohibiting night flying and flight by color signal control.

This is why most recommend obtaining a letter of competence instead, since it is not technically obtained through the FAA, and thus no permanent restriction will be imposed on your medical.  The most common exam to obtain a letter of competence is a "Farnsworth Lantern test" and can be administered by several civilian examiners.

If you're an AOPA member, I also highly recommend you call them and ask to speak with someone in the medical services department about the various ways to handle the situation.  Gary Crump who is the medical director there is a good friend of mine.  Hope this helps and best of luck. 
« Last Edit: February 08, 2008, 07:36:33 PM by Jason »

Offline KSYR-pjr

Re: Question for Pilots
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2008, 08:01:07 PM »
If you're an AOPA member, I also highly recommend you call them and ask to speak with someone in the medical services department about the various ways to handle the situation.

I enthusiastically second Jason's recommendation.  AOPA is an excellent resource and should be able to guide you through this.