Author Topic: Pilots Asleep At The Wheel  (Read 7533 times)

Offline chefnoel

Pilots Asleep At The Wheel
« on: November 02, 2007, 05:03:04 PM »

Offline moto400ex

Re: Pilots Asleep At The Wheel
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2007, 10:24:16 PM »
Search on youtube, theres some videos of pilots
 apparently falling asleep.

Offline ATCBob

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2007, 10:10:32 PM »
No surprise... before 9/11 when we could fly in the jumpseat on FAM flights, I saw a couple of them doze off. One time in fact the copilot went in back to the bathroom for a long time, then on one of the screens a warning message came on ("L Pack" in yellow) so I looked at the captain to see what he'd do but he was asleep! Fortunately as I was debating whether to wake him (I figured if it was truly important the warning message would be in red and sound an alarm), the copilot returned and they just flipped a switch to fix it.

But to fall asleep with an FAA employee in the jump seat right there means they must be just as sleep-deprived as us controllers. I don't know how the cross-country red-eye pilots do it, because I can barely survive the mid-shifts myself. It's a serious issue.

Offline Lezam

• KJFK Stream Feeder
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2007, 04:35:30 PM »
No surprise... before 9/11 when we could fly in the jumpseat on FAM flights, I saw a couple of them doze off. One time in fact the copilot went in back to the bathroom for a long time, then on one of the screens a warning message came on ("L Pack" in yellow) so I looked at the captain to see what he'd do but he was asleep! Fortunately as I was debating whether to wake him (I figured if it was truly important the warning message would be in red and sound an alarm), the copilot returned and they just flipped a switch to fix it.

But to fall asleep with an FAA employee in the jump seat right there means they must be just as sleep-deprived as us controllers. I don't know how the cross-country red-eye pilots do it, because I can barely survive the mid-shifts myself. It's a serious issue.

Bob, where do you control?

Offline bogman

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2007, 07:17:36 PM »
I was just wondering what is the offical rest time for pilots  :?

Bogman

Offline fulanito

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2008, 07:07:43 PM »
http://www.starbulletin.com/news/hawaiinews/20081226_Go_pilots_admit_dozing_in_flight.html

go! airlines flight 1002, both of the pilots were dismissed after admitting they fell asleep. I remember seeing a thread here about this incident, but couldn't find it so I'll just post the link here.

Offline Jacko

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2008, 04:55:19 AM »
After speaking to my bro, in Australia our pilots have to have a minnimum of 10 hour stop over between flights, if they are found to be doing otherwise they had better watch out or CASA won't be happy