Author Topic: Moncton Center asking hi level for info on ELT  (Read 5383 times)

Offline Car150

Moncton Center asking hi level for info on ELT
« on: March 25, 2011, 12:18:30 AM »
Currently Moncton Center questioning a number hi level flights on where they are hearing an ELT activation.  Using Flight Aware, appear flights are in area just off Halifax, Nova Scotia heading north east to Europe. 
Unusual ???

Offline tmurphy26a

Re: Moncton Center asking hi level for info on ELT
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2011, 09:50:27 AM »
Did you get anymore information on this? The QM feed is down as it is a buddy of mines - he is moving. QX is online but only 1 or 2 centre frequencies.

Would be interesting it hear - just tuned in YYT now.

Thanks,
Tim

Offline Dan CZQM

• Trip Website
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2011, 12:57:23 PM »
I haven't heard of any missing aircrafts in the area.  Might have been a manual activation error.
Tim, if all goes well, feed will be back up in a week.  Snow is finally starting to melt.

Dan

Offline Car150

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2011, 01:45:28 PM »
Unfortunately appears it was not an equipment malfunction.  Received the following page a few mins ago

MNE| Bangor| Aircraft Down| Delayed| IAO Jack Mountain Rd/Clear Lke|Plane crash site located, 1 DOA. Small aircraft w/ Game Warden on board. Clean up in progress.| MNE010| 12:31

This would make sense, as aircraft were reporting hearing ELT as they passed from Boston Center to Moncton Center....which would put this incident in the area.

Offline Hollis

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2011, 02:34:31 PM »
It was a Maine Warden Service aircraft that crashed on a remote lake in North Central Maine killing the pilot. Hence the ELT signal picked up by overflying overseas bound a/c on their route over Northen Maine under Boston Center control, then handed off to Moncton Center as soon as they cross the border Eastbound over The Canadian Maritimes.
More info if you Google the 'Bangor Daily News'.

Offline Car150

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2011, 09:29:27 PM »
Ironically ran into the controller, I heard on hi level last night, at the grocery store this afternoon.  He told me  Canadian and American SAR organizations both sent up aircraft...Canadian's reached area first but when they realized signal was on the US side of the border they turned back and US SAR units effected the scene assessment.  Also other tidbit, I did not realize that the ILT's carried by ships and fishing boats also transmit on 121.5 .....he says a big frig the first day of fishing and/or lobster season along the Canada / US east coast.
I asked if Canadian/American boundaries were respected in these cases ; he said YES...EXCEPT if it was an "intercept"...then borders don't make any difference.  Interesting .....