Author Topic: Minorities in ATC  (Read 4682 times)

Offline Johnksan

Minorities in ATC
« on: May 15, 2007, 11:27:35 PM »
Hi All,

Anyone know of any controllers who are Iranian Americans?  What percentage of ATCS are minorities?  I'm currently in ATCTI school looking to get into the FAA to be an ATCS.  Everyone I know in the ATC program is anglo caucasian.  At least in my school I'm the only Iranian American.  I don't mind this at all, just want to know if anyone else like me out there.  I've seen black, hispanic or even Iranian american pilots but not ATCS.

Offline BMT

Re: Minorities in ATC
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2007, 05:58:26 AM »
This is just my .02 worth. Seems like most of the young people today want to be:
Pro Sports Star
Rock Star

BMT

Offline tyketto

Re: Minorities in ATC
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2007, 12:56:13 PM »
Hi All,

Anyone know of any controllers who are Iranian Americans?  What percentage of ATCS are minorities?  I'm currently in ATCTI school looking to get into the FAA to be an ATCS.  Everyone I know in the ATC program is anglo caucasian.  At least in my school I'm the only Iranian American.  I don't mind this at all, just want to know if anyone else like me out there.  I've seen black, hispanic or even Iranian american pilots but not ATCS.

On my tour of NCT, I saw two of the three minorities you've mentioned, actively controlling all 6 sectors of NorCal, both Approach and Departure. To expand that, a third of them were female.

In short, there's a lot of diversity in the controllers at different facilities. Who and where they are.. that is another story.

BL.