airtraffic

Author Topic: Maycomm AR-108AE airband scanner  (Read 7850 times)

Offline rinoltz

Maycomm AR-108AE airband scanner
« on: February 13, 2008, 06:55:36 PM »
First off, I couldn't decide whether to put this post into the Listener Forum or this one so if this seems to be the wrong one please move it as needed.  Anyway, I am looking for a scanner that only scans the airband frequencies.  This is what I have come up with, the Maycomm AR-108AE.  Has anyone here ever used this scanner or have it now?  If so, what are your thoughts on it.  If there is another brand out there that does what this one does please let me know.  I have a Uniden 200XLT but cannot take it with me in the car and/or listen to it in the car due to local or state laws and I do not have a waiver for it.  That is why I am looking for a scanner to scan airband only.  Thanks for the input.

Brad

Offline jonsey737

Re: Maycomm AR-108AE airband scanner
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2008, 04:50:45 PM »
I'm not the most qualified here, but do understand how VHF radios work for the most part.. though haven't owned many myself.

I did however have the Maycomm AR-108 to start off... it's good if your close as the sensitivity is pretty bad. Somewhat difficult to use due to no keypad.... it's benefits are that its light weight.

If you can get away with having a VHF Airband transceiver, then maybe look at the Icom A-6... I just purchased that to replace my maycomm (the volume/power switch is broken internally and I can't be bothered to find a new switch to replace it). So far the radio is good... bit on the heavy side but if your just using it for receive you should have great battery life. Sensitivity is good as well.

I'm probably not the most qualified, but if you can find another option around the same price range you'll probably be happier with it.

Offline rinoltz

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2008, 09:19:16 PM »
As I am not a pilot nor do I have any use for the transmit on a transceiver, I opted for the AR 108.  I just got it today so I am still checking it out.  I need to get closer to the airport to really get a feel for it.  I live about 15 miles from there so not good reception as you might expect.  I guess I would consider returning it if I can get the A-6 for a good price.  A question about the A-6, can you lock out the push to talk button as to not accidentally press it.  I would only use the A-6 for receive. 

Thanks,

Brad

Offline rinoltz

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2008, 09:19:03 PM »
Well, I ended up sending the AR-108 back.  I loaded a few freq's into the memory and then tried to scan.  It would not stop on any of the channels loaded even though my Uniden next to it would.  I also took it to a mobile comm business in town and they essentially forced a signal into the antenna with the same results.  When manually selecting a channel it would work fine.  Result, my 20 year old Uniden worked better than the Maycom.  Otherwise, nice radio.  Not sure what will be next.

Thanks,

Brad