Author Topic: LiveATC 2005 Review and Thanks  (Read 11834 times)

Offline dave

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • LiveATC.net
LiveATC 2005 Review and Thanks
« on: February 04, 2006, 09:38:22 AM »
Last year saw a whirlwind of activity at LiveATC.  We broke the 100 feed barrier for feeds listed on the site.  At any given time we have about 80-85 feeds active and we're hoping to get that number over 100 before too long.  During the year we added a Top 10 Feeds List which gets updated every minute.  This will be expanded soon to show Top 10 in each airport category, hopefully exposing more of the excellent feeds that we have.

We also added a FAQ section to the forums, which helps answer many of the questions that come up so often.  We also added a forum which allows listeners to post interesting ATC audio clips and pictures.  That has been very popular.  If you hear something interesting, save the archived audio clip, edit it, and upload the interesting bits!  This is a community supported area...we often don't have the time to do it ourselves, so it's up to you!

In 2005 we also picked up some new bandwidth sponsors.  Without them we would not be able to handle the peak load that we sometimes see during interesting events.  We can now handle close to 1,500 simultaneous listeners and hope to be able to double that this year.

During 2006 you will see a lot of changes.  We'll be switching to an all database-driven web site architecture which will bring a bunch of new features.  It will permit our feed metadata to be consistent and updated, for one thing.  Eventually feeders will have their own logins and the ability to edit their own entries.  More statistics will be shown, like when a feed was last heard from, for example.

I would like to thank many people, but especially Jason H. and Sean P. for their considerable help with LiveATC.  We answer numerous questions both in email and on the forums, and it is all time-consuming work.  LiveATC would not be possible without their help.  I'd also like to thanks Aaron for the MSN-based feed map, another excellent addition in 2005. I also want to thank all the feeders.  Without you, there would be no site.  It is the large variety of feeds from around the world that make this site interesting to visitors.

Finally, thanks to all the listeners who visit the site.  Obviously, this community would not thrive and grow without your interest and support.  If you like what you hear, please consider a small donation to the site.  Donations go to support some of the server and bandwidth costs and further site growth.   Some time early this year we hope to be able to add another server which can be dedicated to archives.  Right now we are running short on storage space to hold the growing list of feeds that we'd like to archive.  Hopefully some donations will cover the costs of solving that problem.  

Here's to another successful year for the LiveATC community.

Thanks,
Dave Pascoe
LiveATC.net Founder

Offline Jason

• CFI/CFII
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2006, 12:46:54 PM »
I'd like to take this opportunity to thank Dave Pascoe, an amazingly hard working founder of LiveATC.net.  You consistantly do a great job running LiveATC.net in conjunction with feeders, listeners, and bandwidth hosts.  You are a real asset to the Live-ATC community.

I look forward to working/contributing on LiveATC.net throughout 2006 and also can't wait to see the future of the site. 

LiveATC.net is the only internet site to feed over 130 streams from around the world.  ...and that is a fact to not only be proud of, but be thankful for; all the volunteer feeders throughout the globe and Dave, all of whom make it possible.

Quoting Dave: "Here's to another successful year for the LiveATC community."

Regards,
Jason
LiveATC.net Moderator/Contributor

P.S. Look for the new LiveATC.net flyer coming soon!
« Last Edit: June 08, 2012, 10:36:21 PM by Jason »

Offline KPryor

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2006, 03:27:35 PM »
I'd like to thank Dave and all the Liveatc crew for this fantastic site.  It really is a wonderful resource for all of us and I do appreciate it!
KP

Offline Acey

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2006, 03:55:29 PM »
This site has become a crucial part of my aviation hobby and I'd like to take the time to thank Dave and all those have put their time into this invaluable resource.  I listen to LiveATC everyday! :D

Offline KDSM

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2006, 01:46:11 AM »
Impressive.  Now there is a forum.  I contacted I believe Dave a year or so ago and he was so gracious to reply to my questions regarding a feed here in Des Moines.  Congrats and nice job.

Offline n57flyguy

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2006, 11:55:07 AM »
Thanks Dave! your website is helping me master and understand ATC. thanks again and I am glad to be a part of it.

Offline Tomato

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2006, 09:03:18 AM »
There's not much else to say... it's a great site, and something I wish existed many years ago.  I know how much time and energy it takes to run these sites, and can appreciate how much you've given us.  Thanks Dave!   :D

Offline stealth71

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2006, 01:44:01 AM »
Sounds like a lot is going to be happening this year. Thanks to Dave for working hard to provide this site. I run my own website, so I know how much time it takes to keep it going. I also appreciate him answering some questions for me which were used in an article about LiveATC for our airport newsletter.

Offline valo_j

• PVG Tower
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2006, 12:48:05 PM »
thx dave

well done :wink:

Offline Hobbyist

Re: LiveATC 2005 Review and Thanks
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2006, 08:29:22 PM »
I would also thank Dave for the new web-site layout and also FlightAware tracking which I am now registered to. However I really like it. Thanks.
Thanks from Hobbyist.

Offline mtlatc

« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2006, 03:48:47 PM »
Great site. I am a USAF controller in Korea, and like to hear some good old feeds from the U.S. Keep up the good work!

LE

Offline Cathay250

« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2006, 03:21:15 AM »
To all the LiveATC.net crew, well done and keep it up. 8-)

Offline diskus

« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2006, 09:59:27 AM »
Dave, congratulations to all of you here at Live atc.net. this has been obviously been a successful year for all of you!!!

PS. I have been working on some minor reccomendations for the KSFO feed. I will forward them soon

Mike

Offline Avidal

« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2006, 01:29:13 AM »
This site is superb!!!!!!  Thanks Dave and each and everyone who contributes.

I combine the feeds with the AirNav Live  tracker for visuals and I just can't get enough.

Best regards!!!