airtraffic

Author Topic: Libyan Jet crashed, child only survivor  (Read 4672 times)

Offline laylow

Cap747

Re: Libyan Jet crashed, child only survivor
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2010, 01:17:04 PM »
What I don't get is why this (sc)Airbus 330-200 ended up in so many pieces... I saw more pieces scattered around then they use to build a 330.
I have seen there were small trees and bushes in it's path, but how heavy is a commercial plane not to break through these?

RIP to all pax !
« Last Edit: May 13, 2010, 01:33:22 PM by Cap747 »

Offline jedgar

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2010, 11:33:19 AM »
Gosh, that's awful.

I'm not sure if deadly aircraft incidents are becoming more common or we're just noticing them more, but it seems like it's really becoming more and more frequent.

I'll be curious to see what the cause of this was, seems like perfect weather conditions for landing.

"The main runway at Tripoli Airport is 3,600 yards (meters) long. According to international airport guides, the airport does not have a precision approach system that guides airplanes down to the runway's threshold, but has two other less sophisticated systems that are in wide use throughout the world."

I wonder if that means no localizer?

djmodifyd

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2010, 11:55:58 AM »
Gosh, that's awful.

I'm not sure if deadly aircraft incidents are becoming more common or we're just noticing them more, but it seems like it's really becoming more and more frequent.

I'll be curious to see what the cause of this was, seems like perfect weather conditions for landing.

"The main runway at Tripoli Airport is 3,600 yards (meters) long. According to international airport guides, the airport does not have a precision approach system that guides airplanes down to the runway's threshold, but has two other less sophisticated systems that are in wide use throughout the world."

I feel the same way...im just not wondering if we are noticing them more often.  Another thing i've noticed is most of them are carriers of other nations (not saying its ok..just stating what im seeing)  The last US crash was the colgan one in BUF correct?

and on another note..precision approach means no altitude guidance.  the most popular precision approach is an ILS..there are GPS precision approaches in the works, but are not widely out yet (if out at all)...so the approaches there could be anything else...RNAV VOR NDB etc..im guessing VOR and something else since the article said antiquated.

Offline jedgar

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2010, 12:20:23 PM »
Gosh, that's awful.

I feel the same way...im just not wondering if we are noticing them more often.  Another thing i've noticed is most of them are carriers of other nations (not saying its ok..just stating what im seeing)  The last US crash was the colgan one in BUF correct?

and on another note..precision approach means no altitude guidance.  the most popular precision approach is an ILS..there are GPS precision approaches in the works, but are not widely out yet (if out at all)...so the approaches there could be anything else...RNAV VOR NDB etc..im guessing VOR and something else since the article said antiquated.

Yah, colgan one in BUF was the last I think, and, in my opinion (one that doesn't count for much) -- One of the worst instances of pilot error ever.. idiots flying that plane, still makes me mad to think about it. :(

Cap747

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2010, 01:38:09 PM »
It appears they had only ILS CAT I from the rwy 27 side which means they have to backcourse from the 09 side and disengage the auto pilot for the last few 100's feet and no glideslope, so no autoland features and there was mist coming up reducing visibility as they where approaching....

Pilots must be certified for backcourse approaches in Europe, but I don't know for Arabya (Northern Africa)

http://www.avherald.com/h?article=42b63b20&opt=0
« Last Edit: May 13, 2010, 01:47:12 PM by Cap747 »