airtraffic

Author Topic: LAX switch directions  (Read 4712 times)

Offline Chananya Freedman

LAX switch directions
« on: April 01, 2010, 12:26:23 PM »
My dad and I were discussing the fact that BUR and VNY land and depart backwards in Santa Ana wind conditions.  LAX does not. LAX lands backwards during a rain storm. My dad and I both don't understand why this is. More details would be appreciated.

Offline tyketto

Re: LAX switch directions
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2010, 12:42:51 PM »
My dad and I were discussing the fact that BUR and VNY land and depart backwards in Santa Ana wind conditions.  LAX does not. LAX lands backwards during a rain storm. My dad and I both don't understand why this is. More details would be appreciated.

Think about the level of traffic you're going to have, plus the delays if doing that. I assume you're meaning something like land on the 6s and 7s, and depart 24s and 25s. You're going to tag on at least 5 minutes to each flight just due to wake turbulence, because IIRC, the .65 states that you have to wait at least that long for the wake from a heavy jet landing opposite the direction you're taking off into. The departure will encounter the wake all the way through the initial climb. Reverse that for the arrivals.

Second thing to think about is the actual approach. VNY and BUR's arrival path is to the north of LAX, so they're pretty much in the clear. ONT and SBD, not so lucky Granted they may be departing east as well, but the climbouts from ONT's departure (HASSA4) will run right into the arrival path of the BASET2 (STAR used for east ops at LAX). Granted, the BASET2's altitudes are higher, but you're still going to have to allot for that.

But mainly it's the delays arrivals and departures would encounter, especially with the wake turbulence, that makes that rough to do, except during suicide ops, and even then they land to the east on the 6s, and departure to the 25st on the 25s; separate complexes altogether.

BL.

Offline bluecrewfan08

Re: LAX switch directions
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2010, 08:27:58 PM »
LAX most certainly lands "backwards" during Santa Ana conditions....as long as the winds and direction warrant it. As long as there is a sustained easterly wind over approx. 10, they will turn things around.

But  here at the coast, Santa Ana winds are rarely an issue ( It will be gusting to 70 in the valley passes and canyons, but be dead calm here. or slightly offshore. And when it is enough offshore, then they will turn em around.

Rob