Author Topic: KBOS question  (Read 4208 times)

Offline chuckschick

KBOS question
« on: April 26, 2010, 01:57:28 PM »
Last week, noticed an unusual traffic pattern at Logan shortly after a line of thunderstorms moved through. Arrivals were coming in on 15R and 27 and departures were using 22R, but flying the runway heading rather than turning left over the water.

Were they flying the runway heading to avoid the line of thunderstorms (which seemed to be the southeast) or to avoid airspace conflicts with that runway configuration? And under what conditions can they use that departure track rather than the normal one (which I believe is a noise abatement procedure)? Just curious because I'd never seen it before.

Offline dave

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • LiveATC.net
Re: KBOS question
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2010, 02:00:50 PM »
Sounds like primarily weather avoidance since that configuration is slightly unusual.  I will get a better answer.

Offline dave

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • LiveATC.net
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2010, 03:16:36 PM »
Here you go:

"Landing on 15R and 27 is usually not done in any condition. It was possible that they were changing to one configuration and cleaning up from another. The 22R runway heading issue was probably to avoid the weather. "

Offline chuckschick

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2010, 10:02:19 AM »
Great, thanks for the info. It certainly was an unusual sight to drive up the Xway and see the departures climbing over the gas tank and Presidents' Golf Course. I assume that's the way it was before they put in the noise abatement turn.