Author Topic: Hosting Charleston AFB/INTL KCHS?? Need setup advice please......  (Read 6140 times)

Offline commercialcobb

• My Home Base KJZI
This is my first post here and I am trying to get set up to host the feed from KCHS... Charleston SC. is the largest installation of the C-17 Globemaster in the world, and has nonstop training T&G's as well as low-level maneuvering around the Charleston area on the Civil Air Band 120.70/135.80, along with the other Airlines, GA, Heavy 747/Antonov Cargo (UPS, FedEx, Evergreen, Boeing Dream Lifter 747-4LCF, etc) and numerous visiting military fighters and re-fuelers, I would also like to get this feed up and running for my student pilots to get aquainted with the area communications that they will be speaking with on a regular basis.
I only have my SP 200 NAV/COM Handheld which works fine and I can get intermittent Tower and Ground on it from my house but I take it with me on X-country flights as back up so the feed would be coming down all the time.  I don't have a place to mount a big bulky discone antenna on my apartment but I could hide a J-pole one just fine.  I am looking for a good all around base scanner that can also pick up the off shore fighter practice areas that are in continuous operation from fighter bases throughout the Carolina's, Florida and Georgia.
Any Help would be much appreciated, I am located 8 miles from the airbase and would like for you guys to put me on a reliable all around set up... Thank you so much in advance and I look forward to being a regular here on the forums for any aviation related Q's you guys may have.....  Sorry I know this have been dicussed a hundred times but those threads are old and stale now.....

Offline Jason

• CFI/CFII
Re: Hosting Charleston AFB/INTL KCHS?? Need setup advice please......
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2008, 08:58:13 PM »
Hi,

We received your e-mail (Ticket #1275) and will get back to you shortly.  Thanks for your interest in providing a new feed!

Regards,

Offline commercialcobb

• My Home Base KJZI
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2008, 09:09:45 PM »
I figured you guys had, I am just getting an overall opinion on equipment from these guys as well as your input later to try and get the most out of this venture....

Offline commercialcobb

• My Home Base KJZI
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2008, 09:15:42 PM »
I am considering the Uniden BCT-15 and a J-pole antenna, but the BCT-15 is a little pricey so what I am looking for is a radio in the $100-$200 range.  I don't need the whoop di do digital trunking to constantly chase the ever changing police bands cause I could care less who got a DUI, or pulled for 64mph in 50mph zone.. I just want a good-great aviation band base scanner and antenna for all of you listeners and for an easy way for my students to plug in and listen as well......    Kick the tires and light the fires

Offline IndyTower

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2008, 09:40:21 PM »
Have a friend I went to Purdue with that will be going to CHS as soon as she gets a class date.  Very much looking forward to this feed...thanks in advance!