Author Topic: GRE PSR-310 - observations and thoughts  (Read 5036 times)

Offline datainmotion

GRE PSR-310 - observations and thoughts
« on: March 11, 2012, 12:53:00 AM »
I recently purchased a GRE PSR-310 with the intent of using it as a dedicated aero scanner.

I have three other GRE-based scanners: a Pro-197, PSR-500 and Pro-2006. The two newer models are really made to scan trunking and APCO P25 systems, specifically on 700/800/900 with everything else secondary, IMO. This shows in their VHF performance, which usually entails front-end overload (even with just the "rubber duck"), requiring use of the attenuation feature to hear anything (at least where I live).

With that said, I mulled over the purchase of a 310 vs. a Uniden BC346XT for quite some time. After reading numerous reviews and considering no Mil Air coverage on the 346, I pulled the trigger and ordered the 310. While this scanner is not necessarily new (introduced in 2010), I think it may be overlooked as an aero scanner.

Here are my initial observations:

- The unit ships with the usual: scanner, "rubber duck" wide-band antenna and two battery holders
 - The body is black and textured. The texturing creates a bit more positive grip than the traditional smooth plastic
 - The keypad is identical to the PSR-500
 - The programming cable for the PSR-500/Pro-106, PSR-600/Pro-197 works on the 310
 - Win500 software works on the 310
 - Holster cases for the PSR-500 work on the 310
 - The display is absolutely outstanding: it's a bright white background with black fonts that can be bolded!
 - All the features of the other GRE trunking scanners, such as Object-oriented scanning and alpha-tagging are included.
 - No front-end overload on VHF, unless connected to one of my outdoor antennas
 - Reception is satisfactory with the stock antenna, as it is wideband, but an aftermarket antenna is recommended. I chose a Diamond RH771 and it made a substantial difference - clearly hearing pilots talking on RCAG freqs in Western CO (100+ miles away) and Ground traffic from KAPA (30 miles away), from inside my house.
 - Battery life has been excellent compared to using the exact same rechargeables in my PSR-500 (most likely due to the constant use of the digital decoder in the latter)

The only issue I've had is that it appears there may be a birdie at 127.500 (one of the Ground freqs at KDEN).

Overall, my impression of the scanner (149 shipped) and the aftermarket antenna (25 shipped) has been excellent!
For those looking at the Uniden BC125AT or the upcoming GRE PSR-120 but still want analog trunking (which in my case is the EDACS Public Safety System at KDEN), with no sacrifice to VHF reception, the GRE PSR-310 is worth a look.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2012, 01:15:38 AM by datainmotion »