Author Topic: Flight Tracking... & audio  (Read 4646 times)

Offline Chananya Freedman

Flight Tracking... & audio
« on: January 27, 2009, 06:34:24 PM »
OK guys...  think about this one. 

Some of us on this sight use other flight tracking web-sites in addition to this one to keep track of flights.  Here's my question.  Has anyone thought of putting a button next to the flight your tracking on any particular we-site that would allow you to hear the most recent communication from that flight even if there's no feed for the area?  Is this even possible?

I use "Flytecom.com" for my flight tracking, whether  listening to a specific flight, or just tracking at random.  Since I can't see the maps very well(I'm legally blind), what I am describing above would be very useful to me.

Thank you for your time.  Any and all feedback/info is welcome.

Chananya

Offline MathFox

• The Flying Fox
Re: Flight Tracking... & audio
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2009, 03:25:16 AM »
I do not know about any tracking site that does that.
It would be pretty hard work to collect all communications for one flight... Communications for several flights are mixed up in the ATC streams. It would require that one split up all relevant streams in dialogues, use voice recognition to find the relevant flight number and then enter clip information into a database.

Sounds like a fun programming job, but a bit more than fits in a weekend.  :-D

Offline dave

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • LiveATC.net
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2009, 10:39:59 AM »
Thought of it many times...but the complexities of airspace and lack of sufficient feed supply make this a "nice thing to want to have" for now.

Offline marcoleon

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2009, 01:51:44 PM »
Plus, you would have to somehow programatically track which tail numbers are on each frequency. I don't think that data is tracked in an FAA computer let alone publically available from the them.

What would be interesting to see is what percentage of coverage LiveATC has of all the active channels at any given moment.