airtraffic

Author Topic: Fixing my J-pole  (Read 5927 times)

Offline KMSY

Fixing my J-pole
« on: August 01, 2006, 04:31:55 PM »
Hello everybody...

I bought a J-pole from KB9VBR about a month ago for the New Orleans feed. It worked really well... but then it broke! I put too much pressure on a critical connection and it broke. I can't really solder (I would have made my own if I had the right tools) so is there anything else I can use to patch it back and make it work like new (Tin foil, any kind of liquid/glue... anything)? The part the broke is where the SO-239 connector meets the actual copper- So it really can't work at all without this connection. Any help would really be appreciated.

Bryce

Offline Lezam

• KJFK Stream Feeder
Re: Fixing my J-pole
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2006, 07:02:28 PM »
glue lol

it sounds rlly simple to me, like as simple as soldering it together... why dont you ask a neighbor? It would prob take like 30 seconds...

Offline FlyCMI

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2006, 07:14:42 PM »
I know what you mean, I built my own j-pole and that connection came loose at first.  You can buy a soldering gun at radioshack for not very much, it's real simple to do it.  You'll need some solder though, which is inexpensive.

Offline KMSY

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2006, 09:42:32 PM »
I tried that today with a small one from a friend. I need a bigger one lol. It heated up the solder real well, but it didn't stick to the copper as easily. I think I've repaired the connection, and get a good signal, but I want some insurance. I'll see what I can find.

Offline Jason

• CFI/CFII
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2006, 10:13:20 PM »
I tried that today with a small one from a friend. I need a bigger one lol. It heated up the solder real well, but it didn't stick to the copper as easily. I think I've repaired the connection, and get a good signal, but I want some insurance. I'll see what I can find.

You'll need a torch, good solder and some flux if you want to get the connection back to what it used to be.  Those items along with someone with experience using them is a good way to get it fixed.

Offline FlyCMI

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2006, 11:06:02 PM »
Ok I misread your post, I thought you meant where the wire connects to the connector.  Jason is right, you will need a torch for that.