Author Topic: feed-Scanner Questions  (Read 5916 times)

Offline Himerzi

feed-Scanner Questions
« on: January 26, 2007, 03:59:52 PM »
I know this is a newbie question. Is a "Scanner" the same thing as  "A receiver". Say I where to use a scanner such as  this one http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2036233&cp=2032052.2032072&parentPage=family
(Radioshack  PRO-2018) to run a feed  in which i would like to feed both the tower frequencies and ground frequencies to live atc, would I require one scanner per frequency i wanted to pick up or is a scanner somehow capableof picking up multiple frequencies  at the same time? Thanks

Offline hyderpotter

Re: feed-Scanner Questions
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2007, 05:04:02 AM »
A scanner is a radio receiver that automatically tunes, or scans, two or more discrete frequencies. Generally, scanners cover the non-broadcast radio bands between 30 and 950 MHz using FM, although there are models that cover more of the radio spectrum and use other modulation types.

Offline PHL Approach

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2007, 11:23:02 AM »
Is a "Scanner" the same thing as  "A receiver".

Yes

Say I where to use a scanner such as  this one http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2036233&cp=2032052.2032072&parentPage=family
(Radioshack  PRO-2018) to run a feed  in which i would like to feed both the tower frequencies and ground frequencies to live atc, would I require one scanner per frequency i wanted to pick up or is a scanner somehow capableof picking up multiple frequencies  at the same time? Thanks

No, you can run all frequencies on one scanner. Though some like to have the frequencies separated. Granted, it's up to the feeder's ability to obtain two scanners, two sound cards etc. In most cases it's not worth it unless it's a very busy airport. Generally where alot of transmissions may be lost on one of the other frequencies due to the overcrowding in the scan.

Offline Himerzi

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2007, 08:09:56 PM »
Thanks for the answer. So you may experiencece some loss of what is being transmitted in one of the frequencies your scanning if you are feeding various frequencies on the same scanner for a fairly busy airport. What is truncking?
« Last Edit: January 29, 2007, 08:33:38 PM by Himerzi »

Offline poj

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2007, 08:44:07 PM »

Offline Himerzi

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2007, 10:41:00 PM »
Allright thanks, I should have just looked at that all along. So whether your radio can "trunk" or not is irrelevant when choosing a radio to provide a feed.

Offline PHL Approach

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2007, 02:51:13 PM »
Trunked radio systems have nothing to do with monitoring Air Band.