Author Topic: Controlling Special Events  (Read 7904 times)

Offline Tomato

Controlling Special Events
« on: August 11, 2006, 12:56:58 AM »
There are various air shows coming up, with various aircraft performing various acrobatics, etc.  How does this work, exactly?  I realize there are TFRs out there for pilots, but how about ATC?  Are these special pilots given the freedom to do whatever they want within x-radius, or do they wait in line like everybody else?  Would ATC then approve them as VFR?  :)

Offline Pygmie

Re: Controlling Special Events
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2006, 07:07:49 PM »
Not sure how it is done in the US, but up here in Canada, the controllers issue take off and landing clearances to air show aircraft.  Once in the air, unless there is an emergency situation, the controllers are not to "control" or interfere with the air show aircraft while they are performing.  The airshow organizers with make an arrangement with the controllers on when non-participating aircraft are permitted to operate into and out of the airport (i.e. times periods when no airshow aircraft will be performing).

Offline digger

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2006, 07:29:54 PM »
I know there are a couple of people here who are quite qualified to answer this question, but until they get here...

My understanding is that in a coordinated manner, the tower will hand over control (of the necessary ramp, taxiways and runway, and aerobatic box) to the airshow's "Airboss". The Airboss now "owns" that space. The Airboss is likely to be located on the ground, somewhere near show center. The Airboss will instruct the show aircraft when to take off and recover, and in which direction. (And that's probably all pretty well worked out in advance.) Since the airspace is closed to other traffic anyway, there's no need to separate traffic in the manner that the tower usually has to. If there is other activity going on, outside of the Airboss' space, the tower will have the same authority over that as they normally would.

Offline Scrapper

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2006, 04:00:17 PM »
While both of these posts are mostly true, one thing I noticed is that in one post, it was mentionned that the field is closed for the show... this is not always the case... some airshows like the one here in halifax occur at the international airport, and obviously the field remains open... what happens then is as described in the first reply to the original question... nav canada controlls all aircraf in and out of the airport (both at the terminal control unit in moncton for approach and departure) and at the airport for ground and airport control... for the air show, yes they have an airboss who runs the schedule etc. but they still are cleared to enter the zone land, take off, etc by the tower (actually controllers...) it's also true though that once they start their show, they are left alone unless in an emergency or they request assistance... this makes for a great show in halifax, because nav canada coordinates normally scheduled commercial aircraft to arrive and depart between show events... and the control unit normally slows down these commercial arriving aircraft or asks them to perform published hold patterns to remain clear during parts of the event... it's a great feat of coordination that I really enjoy watching... but this year I will take my scanner there for the first time, which should prove even more enjoyable...

Offline w0x0f

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2006, 04:04:58 PM »
I know there are a couple of people here who are quite qualified to answer this question, but until they get here...

My understanding is that in a coordinated manner, the tower will hand over control (of the necessary ramp, taxiways and runway, and aerobatic box) to the airshow's "Airboss". The Airboss now "owns" that space. The Airboss is likely to be located on the ground, somewhere near show center. The Airboss will instruct the show aircraft when to take off and recover, and in which direction. (And that's probably all pretty well worked out in advance.) Since the airspace is closed to other traffic anyway, there's no need to separate traffic in the manner that the tower usually has to. If there is other activity going on, outside of the Airboss' space, the tower will have the same authority over that as they normally would.

Absolutely correct.  Digger, you saw how 28R was used at Wings Over Pittsburgh while the smaller acts were performing on 28C, but a 5 mile radius was blocked around the whole airport for the Blue Angels.  All ground movement was stopped  for the Blues too.  That was coordinated between the air boss and the FAA tower exactly as you stated.  This is how Halifax must do it too. 

Offline digger

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2006, 05:49:38 PM »
one thing I noticed is that in one post, it was mentionned that the field is closed for the show... this is not always the case...

If you're referring to my post, I tried to word it very carefully. I said, "the tower will hand over control (of the necessary ramp, taxiways and runway, and aerobatic box) to the airshow's "Airboss". The Airboss now "owns" that space. " I meant "necessary" to apply to everything mentioned after, but to exclude whatever portion of the airport and airspace was not  necessary for the show.

As w0x0f pointed out, at Wings Over Pittsburgh the balance of the airport and airspace remained active, and under control of the Tower/Tracon, as normal. (And I will admit that we had clarified that in an earlier exchange in a different thread. I had mistakenly thought the entire airspace was closed during the airshow acts.)

Of course, typically at smaller airports without the pressures of commercial traffic the entire airport will be handed over to the Airboss.

Just an interesting side note reference the Blues. Several years ago, when they performed at Westmorland County, (KLBE),  fully half of the static display area was inside their box. The crowd had to be herded out of that area and into the main spectator area, with only essential personnel allowed to remain. (For instance, the vendors weren't forced to vacate their booths, CAP and other airshow volunteers were permitted to remain, etc.) The FAA  person on site absolutely would not approve the beginning of the Blues' performance until he was satisfied that that condition had been met.

Offline Scrapper

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2006, 06:40:20 PM »
hehe... that's hilarious... i'm sure every airboss has his own little interesting ways of doing things... these air bosses aren't actually controllers though are they? (here in canada i'm fairly certain they are not...)

Offline digger

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2006, 08:42:44 PM »
hehe... that's hilarious... i'm sure every airboss has his own little interesting ways of doing things...

The FAA guy wasn't the Airboss. The Airboss had to answer to him, because he had the authority to stop the show--period, end of discussion.

these air bosses aren't actually controllers though are they?

That, I couldn't say.  :?

Offline Tomato

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2006, 09:48:13 PM »
Thansk for all the info people... so it sounds like if the Airboss is not a controller, they essentially execute a schedule rather than "control" any airspace?

Offline digger

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2006, 10:13:41 PM »
I think it would be fair to say that they do "control" the airspace, but they don't have to separate traffic, which is, after all, the tricky part of ATC...

Offline w0x0f

« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2006, 04:57:27 PM »
I think it would be fair to say that they do "control" the airspace, but they don't have to separate traffic, which is, after all, the tricky part of ATC...

This is correct and air bosses are not always ATC personnel.