Author Topic: Controller praised for texting pilot down safely (Cork, Ireland)  (Read 4168 times)

Offline dave

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • LiveATC.net
"FIVE PEOPLE on a flight from Kerry to Jersey received mobile phone text instructions from a quick-thinking air traffic controller when he guided them in to a safe landing at Cork.

In what air accident investigator John Hughes described in his report yesterday as a "serious incident", the twin-engined Piper plane lost all onboard electrical power, communications and weather radar soon after take-off from Kerry airport on November 7th last..."

More at:
http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2008/0807/1218047756406.html

Offline tyketto

Re: Controller praised for texting pilot down safely (Cork, Ireland)
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2008, 01:21:49 AM »
With this incident, you have to wonder if the FCC's regulation for not using cell phones because they interfere with pilot's systems, let alone the Cell phone Ban (HANGUP) Bill that is making the rounds in Congress is a crock.  :roll:

Granted, the plane did lose just about all electrical power, but still good thinking on the controller's part.

BL.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2008, 01:24:25 AM by tyketto »

Offline KSYR-pjr

Re: Controller praised for texting pilot down safely (Cork, Ireland)
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2008, 11:26:17 AM »
Maybe I should reconsider my aversion to cellphone text messages and re-enable that feature of my cellphone account?