airtraffic

Author Topic: ATC Information for new person please.  (Read 5182 times)

Offline Wildfire08

ATC Information for new person please.
« on: September 17, 2009, 05:33:35 PM »
Hi, im almost 20 years old and thinking about training to become an ATC, i recently left university as i realised it wasnt what i wanted to do in life, i have 2 distinctions and a merit in Business Studies from college, im good with computers and have all the key skills acquired over years of education.

I recently sent an application to NATS, and havent yet received a reply, it was only today.

Can anybody tell me what to expect, how much itll cost me? how long it will take to become fully qualified, what i need to start training and actually get into a career, and any information you have to offer would be greatly appreciated, 1 thing though, in the application they asked me a height question, it was about 156cm to 186cm i think, but im about 191cm, does this mean i will not be able to train for an ATC??

Thanks

Chris

Offline atcman23

Re: ATC Information for new person please.
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2009, 06:32:21 PM »
A couple of questions for you first though:

1) Are you in the USA or another country

2) What is NATS?

Offline sunburn

• flickr.
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2009, 08:03:28 PM »
A couple of questions for you first though:

1) Are you in the USA or another country

2) What is NATS?

NATS (National Air Traffic Services) is the the UK's main air traffic service provider.

Hi, im almost 20 years old and thinking about training to become an ATC, i recently left university as i realised it wasnt what i wanted to do in life, i have 2 distinctions and a merit in Business Studies from college, im good with computers and have all the key skills acquired over years of education.

I recently sent an application to NATS, and havent yet received a reply, it was only today.

Can anybody tell me what to expect, how much itll cost me? how long it will take to become fully qualified, what i need to start training and actually get into a career, and any information you have to offer would be greatly appreciated, 1 thing though, in the application they asked me a height question, it was about 156cm to 186cm i think, but im about 191cm, does this mean i will not be able to train for an ATC??

Thanks

Chris

Hello Chris.

I just thought i'd point you in this general direction of this forum: http://www.pprune.org/atc-issues-18/
There's plenty of information there regarding applying to be an ATCO. I've often thought about going through the NATS interview process, however i've been put off by their eye-sight requirements as I fall just over their requirements by -.25 SPH and the fact I only ever got a D in GCSE maths even though I've got a BSc (Hons) and a MSc (I'm still only 25 years old btw). I've decided Photography is the thing for me. I've read/heard of varying results with their discretion regarding their requirements, but I believe that these are assessed on a case by case basis.

If you're successful with the application stage you'll be invited to a number of aptitude tests and essentially you must pass every single one first time. You won't be given another chance unless you want to re-apply in a years time. If you do master each of the tests/interviews you'll then go on to study at NATS ATCO college in Bournemouth. I believe you will be paid during this time and money will be given towards your accommodation. However, if you're lucky enough to study at Bournemouth don't think you'll be safe as you will be constantly assessed and there have been many cases of students being asked to leave due to not reaching the required standards. Essentially, you're not safe until you've graduated from NATS college.

Sorry if this sounds scary, but essentially it is :P

Alas, browse though that forum and you shall find more info.

Goodluck with your application!

.mark
« Last Edit: September 18, 2009, 08:12:19 PM by sunburn »

Offline Casper87

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2009, 06:33:15 PM »
Hi Chris

Check you PMs