Author Topic: Air Canada flight divert  (Read 12590 times)

Offline bogman

Air Canada flight divert
« on: January 31, 2008, 07:22:34 PM »
I only heard this today,but on Monday [not sure what time]an Air Canada flight [dont know the flight number] to London was diverted to Shannon because the first officer had some sort of mental breakdown in the flightdeck and had to be restrained.The captian had to land the plane by himself,wearing a oxygen mask,[is this a safety requirement?]

The airline had to send a crew over from London to fly the last leg.

Thats all the details I have from my father who has connections at Shannon airport.I was trying to see if i could get ito the audio achrives and listen to Shannon feed but i was only getting file error.

Ihope the first officer will be ok,this will probably be the end of his flying carrer.

Offline KSYR-pjr

Re: Air Canada flight divert
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2008, 09:12:33 PM »
I only heard this today,but on Monday [not sure what time]an Air Canada flight [dont know the flight number] to London was diverted to Shannon because the first officer had some sort of mental breakdown in the flightdeck and had to be restrained.The captian had to land the plane by himself,wearing a oxygen mask,[is this a safety requirement?]

Woah.  Not good news. 

I would speculate (until an airline pilot corrects or confirms) that Air Canada's, and perhaps most airlines' operating procedures mandate the wearing of an oxygen mask if one of the two pilots becomes incapacitated, regardless of the cause.  This serves as heightened protection of the one remaining qualified soul on board able to guarantee the safe outcome of the flight.

Offline tyketto

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2008, 09:21:06 PM »

Woah.  Not good news. 

I would speculate (until an airline pilot corrects or confirms) that Air Canada's, and perhaps most airlines' operating procedures mandate the wearing of an oxygen mask if one of the two pilots becomes incapacitated, regardless of the cause.  This serves as heightened protection of the one remaining qualified soul on board able to guarantee the safe outcome of the flight.

Hmm.. I dunno about that one. If it is something new, maybe, but I'm not sure..

A couple years ago, there was an AAL flight from LAX - EGLL that ended up being diverted to KLAS because the Captain had a heart attack during their climb to FL350. While a practicing nurse attended to him, the FO declared emergency landed the plane without incident. no masks were worn for that.

I do remember reading the ACA incident, and everyone landed at Shannon with no problem. The FO was taken to a psychiatric hospital, but didn't need to be restrained according to the AP..

BL.

Offline sunburn

• flickr.
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2008, 09:28:15 PM »

Woah.  Not good news. 

Hmm.. I dunno about that one. If it is something new, maybe, but I'm not sure..

A couple years ago, there was an AAL flight from LAX - EGLL that ended up being diverted to KLAS because the Captain had a heart attack during their climb to FL350. While a practicing nurse attended to him, the FO declared emergency landed the plane without incident. no masks were worn for that.

I do remember reading the ACA incident, and everyone landed at Shannon with no problem. The FO was taken to a psychiatric hospital, but didn't need to be restrained according to the AP..

BL.

according to the bbc he was restrained: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/7217977.stm

"One of the passengers, Sean Finucane, said he saw the co-pilot being carried into the cabin in restraints.

"He was very, very distraught. He was yelling loudly at times," he told the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation.

"He was swearing and asking for God and very distressed. He basically said he wanted to talk to God."

tis a shame the shannon feed was down at the time.

Offline bcrosby

• Fly With Blake
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2008, 09:54:25 PM »
Its standard practice for Air Canada for the pilot flying (while the f/o or captain) to don the O2 mask if the other is incapacitated.

The CBC story about the incident is here:

http://www.cbc.ca/world/story/2008/01/29/aircanada-copilot.html

Offline bogman

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2008, 07:22:59 AM »
This in not the first time this has happened if memory serves me correctly.
A few years ago,not sure when but I think what happened was the captin was back in the cabin and the plane plunged into the sea.

When the black box and and the information was analyzed it was found that nothing was wrong with the plane ,but after listening to the voice recorder it was found that the first officer who was alone in the cockpit nosed dived it in and was shouting to God and praying.

Does anyone remember this?......

Offline sunburn

• flickr.
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2008, 07:33:49 AM »
This in not the first time this has happened if memory serves me correctly.
A few years ago,not sure when but I think what happened was the captin was back in the cabin and the plane plunged into the sea.

When the black box and and the information was analyzed it was found that nothing was wrong with the plane ,but after listening to the voice recorder it was found that the first officer who was alone in the cockpit nosed dived it in and was shouting to God and praying.

Does anyone remember this?......

Off the top of my head, I believe it was an Air Egypt flight bound for JFK.

Offline Panop

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2008, 10:57:38 AM »
The Egypt Air crash was on a JFK-CAI B767-300ER flight in 1989.  US investigators attributed the incident to control inputs made by the first officer for unknown reasons (ie. presumed deliberate).  He was alone on the flight deck when the incident began and the CVR has him repeating "I rely on God" as the aircraft descened rapidly. There were two full flight deck crews (Capt and F/O) on board due to the long distance of the leg and the pilot involved was the relief first officer who volunteered to take control while the others rested or (in the case of the command captain) used the toilet.

Egyptian authorities strongly rejected the findings and claimed mechanical failure of the elevator system or possibly collision avoidance action by the F/O.   

See http://aviation-safety.net/database/record.php?id=19991031-0 and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EgyptAir_Flight_990

In 1997 a Silk Air B737-300 crashed in Indonesia on a flight from JKT to SIN.  There was much speculation that the captain deliberately crashed the plane in a suicide but the final report blamed a faulty rudder servo valve and cleared the captain of any wrong doing.

The great thing about flying is that skilled humans are in control but the scary thing about flying is that real humans are in control with all their weaknesses and faults.  When you look at the number of people in the world sadly affected by mental and other illnesses and then factor in all the added stresses of commercial flying it is a tribute to the checks and balances of the system that such events are so rare and (therefore) newsworthy!

Offline mk

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2008, 05:34:59 PM »
the oxygen mask is required by the FARs...  91.211

above FL250 a pilot must wear a mask unless there are 2 pilots at the controls, then neither has to wear one if both have a quick doning oxygen mask.

Offline KSYR-pjr

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2008, 05:42:42 PM »

Good to know. 

However, this incident took place outside of US airspace with a Canadian-based air carrier.  FARs don't have jurisdiction.

Offline youngfart

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2008, 06:44:08 PM »
It doesn't surprise me this poor bloke suffered a breakdown.  It only surprises me that more flight crew don't exhibit symptoms of psychological distress - or that they do but it simply goes unnoticed because a psychiatric evaluation isn't part of their regular medical check-up 'unless it is deemed necessary', by which time it's far too late. 

I personally know another airline pilot who really shouldn't be flying, for psychological reasons.  He's just gone through his last medical with flying colours, but he's as mad as a hatter, his private life is in shambles and he has expressed a 'premonition' that he will crash sometime in the next year.  But what can you do?  Airlines invest a lot of time and money in their pilots, and until the cracks in his psyche become too large to ignore, he'll continue to fly.  I only hope that NOW airlines will start making psychological assessments as mandatory as eyesight and hearing tests.  Believe me, there are other pilots flying who need help before they endanger passengers and themselves, not after.

Offline mk

« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2008, 11:26:09 PM »
This amendment will also bring the U.S. regulations in closer harmonization with Canadian Regulations on the use of oxygen. Section 605.32(3) of the Canadian Aviation Regulations states "the pilot at the flight controls of an aircraft shall use an oxygen mask if (a) the aircraft is not equipped with quick-donning oxygen masks and is operated at or above flight level 250; or (b) the aircraft is equipped with quick-donning oxygen masks and is operated above flight level 410."
http://rgl.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Guidance_Library/rgFinalRule.nsf/0/64a7136de336f3e7862570d700784f73!OpenDocument

guess the Friends to the North follow regulations alot like ours...

and i'm pretty sure any airline flying into the U.S. must comply with all FARs.  not 100% if EVERY flight for the airline, or only the flights into the US are required to meet the regs... i.e.(aero mexico, air jamaica...)   

help me out here anyone from the UK

Offline Jason

• CFI/CFII
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2008, 08:09:38 AM »

above FL250 a pilot must wear a mask unless there are 2 pilots at the controls, then neither has to wear one if both have a quick doning oxygen mask.

I thought I would just point out that this Part 91 regulation also parallels the Part 121 regulation (§121.333) under which this flight would have been operating under if inside the United States.

As a side note, Part 135 regs are different in that whenever a pressurized aircraft is operated at altitudes above 35,000 feet MSL, at least one pilot at the controls shall wear, secured and sealed, an oxygen mask.

Offline SweedChef

« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2008, 08:12:33 AM »
It doesn't surprise me this poor bloke suffered a breakdown.  It only surprises me that more flight crew don't exhibit symptoms of psychological distress - or that they do but it simply goes unnoticed because a psychiatric evaluation isn't part of their regular medical check-up 'unless it is deemed necessary', by which time it's far too late. 

Thank you! Those were my thoughts exactly. I can't picture myself flying that over-seas route every day, day in day out with nothing but ocean in front of you. The only excitement is getting your trans-atlantic clearance from Gander Centre.....after that....just sit there and wait for land. Finally being able to return to a controller. At least then you've got someone to talk to.

Offline bogman

« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2008, 11:37:58 AM »
What sort of medical exam do they do with the pilots to check their mentality.

Do they go through  some sort of test or what? :?