Author Topic: a question please... it should be a stupid one, but a question anyway :-)  (Read 8382 times)

Offline flaps

hiya,

can anyone explain me what is or what does "to be at signature" mean please?
I hear that very often, like: "...call me when you're at signature"... or "Flight xxx at signature, ready for taxi"

thanks, I appreciate...

flaps 
:-)

Offline PHL Approach

Signature is an FBO (Fixed Base Operator) similar to Million Air, Atlantic, Avitat, Panorama etc

http://www.signatureflight.com/

For further info on FBO's reference:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fixed_base_operator

Offline KSYR-pjr

"Flight xxx at signature, ready for taxi"

Additionally, it is considered proper radio phraseology to mention your aircraft's location when contacting ATC (ground control) to notify that you are ready to taxi or pretty much anytime you are "cold calling" ATC (calling ATC and they do not yet know of you), including when in the air.

"Who you are, where you are, what is your request" is the pattern taught in the US flight schools.

Offline flaps

"Flight xxx at signature, ready for taxi"

Additionally, it is considered proper radio phraseology to mention your aircraft's location when contacting ATC (ground control) to notify that you are ready to taxi or pretty much anytime you are "cold calling" ATC (calling ATC and they do not yet know of you), including when in the air.

"Who you are, where you are, what is your request" is the pattern taught in the US flight schools.

yeah sure sure!
we get to do exactly the same here in Europe, of course. - We even have to tell the ATC (depends on ATC) how many people are on board when in the air (for General Aviation only).

I just didn't know the meaning of that...'cause at first glance I thought it was something related to any "administrative stuff" - like signing something or... you know. Didn't know that it was an FBO that we are talking about. (how stupid am I!) :-)

Thanks to all for your explanation! :-)

flaps

Offline KSYR-pjr

We even have to tell the ATC (depends on ATC) how many people are on board when in the air (for General Aviation only).

Do you have to do this all the time or just reporting an emergency?  In the US pilots only have to report number of people on board to ATC (excluding when filing an IFR flight plan, which is done typically ahead of the flight) when reporting an emergency, not during a routine call-up.

Of course, the drama is increased in the case of a pilot reporting an emergency because ATC doesn't ask for the "number of people on board," ATC asks for "number of souls on board."   In response to this we reply, "Do we count the atheists?"    :)   

Offline flaps

"Do we count the atheists?"  hahahaha excellent!

Well, I's talking about Europe, but it true at least in France and Belgium where I fly. yeah for a routine call-up, you've to say the number of poeple on board, but only during the initial contact, before having a beacon code. Then they know of you...

- "ATC Station xx, g'day, F-FGRH, is type Cessna 172, 4 persons on board, departing "city1", going to "city2", with you "feet" or flight level, overhead "report point"...

Then you're given an xpond code, then you're identified, then you say whatever is your request.

25 nm radius nav and longer require you to file a FPL. But for some reason, sometimes they're not aware of you.

But as I said, it depends on ATC officers.. some of them don't really care about pax on brd.

ATC in France is wayyyyyyyy different from the US/Can ATC... I just love the second one.

flaps