Author Topic: Setup?  (Read 177750 times)

Offline KevinK

• http://www.silverskiesva.us
Setup?
« on: February 27, 2006, 05:56:13 AM »
Ok, well this seems like the most appropriate place to post so... I am about 5 nm away for KEUG in Eugene Oregon. I would like to get a feed going their. What is a cheap way to go? I have been looking at icom, and does the scanner have to be specific for "computers" for it to be able to connect to my soundcard? Whats a good "CHEAP" way to go :D I want a handheld for flying, so im getting that soon. But i have a feeling that wont get the job done, because of what i have been hearing about the quality. If i can get it to worke efficiently, then sure! I live on a hill up from the Airport. So i think i might have an easier time then some picking up tower. I know ill need an antenna, but it has to be discrete. Like, an antenna that i can just hang on the side of the house that doesn't stick out all over the place! What other equipement is needed for it to work, radio wise i mean... Theirs the scanner, antenna, what else? Can the scanner just "hook" into the computer and can the antenna just hook into the scanner? Please explain. Their wasn't much info on this around the site, and yes i already looked in faq, so try to help me out guys! Im sure you all didn't go blow hundreds of hundreds of bucks right off the bat!

Offline Kalpazan

Setup?
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2006, 10:43:10 AM »
I can only speak for myself but I believe it is not much of a difference for the others...

It is all not too expensive if you do not go for some very special setup. The scanner must have the aviation band and that is the only requirement for it. My one is Uniden UBC180XLT, paid around $150 at the time I bought it, it is handheld and it works just fine. The antenna I made myself but it should not cost more than $50-80 for you. Then just any PC that runs Windows or Linux and has sound card on it is fine. I bought dedicated second-hand notebook so that I can run the feed without occupying my 'mainframe' computer :-)

That's all of it. You connect the antenna to the scanner with a coaxial cable and the scanner to the sound card with a regular audio cable. Software to stream is provided to you for free. There is of course more work until u get best of it, like installing the antenna on a suitable place, proper wiring of the cables, scanner tuning, audio card adjustment and so on but those u should not be afraid of as we will help you :-)

Hope this helps...  :wink:

Offline KevinK

Setup?
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2006, 06:16:40 PM »
Mk ok thats real helpful. I want the sp-200, err the nav and com on sportys. Anyone know how the quality is for feeding? The faq said they tend to sound crappy, but we'll see. What kind of antenna is it...Where are places you mount it?

Offline Kalpazan

Setup?
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2006, 12:42:21 AM »
Usually you need discone type of antenna. One of these for example:

http://www.nevadaradio.co.uk/acatalog/scanmaster-antennas.html

And you mount it outside and as high as possible. Somewhere on the roof for example. But must not be too far away from the scanner to avoid signal loss.

Offline Lezam

• KJFK Stream Feeder
Setup?
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2006, 09:06:29 PM »
I did it a cheap way... I have a pro 83, got it on ebay new for 40 bucks. Got a jpole antenna for 27 bucks, if you want the link to the site ask me. And some RG-6 cable for free, some nice guy in radioshack paid for it (ran out of money)  :) . I have a special feed computer, wont be too hard for you to find a win 98+ computer. My mini 9 inch, 10 year old monitor :) And surge protector! Thats what I did :)

Offline KevinK

Setup?
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2006, 01:02:15 AM »
Haha well i have the computer easily at my grasp "I know some people" :) I want the 200 also just for my future in aviation, althoguh that means the thing wont be up all the time but... Anyhow, any good antennas recommended? I dont think that the height will be a problem, cuz i can put it close to the roof, But!!! IT HAS TO BE DISCREET!

Offline Lezam

• KJFK Stream Feeder
Setup?
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2006, 07:10:12 PM »
This is the one I got, it will become discreet soon :) Its copper, and when outside it will turn brownish, so it will blend in.
http://www.kb9vbr.com/jpole.htm
If you need any help, IM me...

Offline n57flyguy

Setup?
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2006, 07:47:29 AM »
I want to set up a feed of ILG in the few years before college. I hope on purchasing a Bearcat scanner by next fall. I have a couple questions. How do I hook it up to my computer? I can get an antenna and put it on my roof or back trees somewhere, knowone really cares around me, I  could just say its TV. Now what cable do I need to hook up the scanner to the antenna? How do you run it from the inside to my roof? any help will be appreciated.

Offline Lezam

• KJFK Stream Feeder
Setup?
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2006, 07:16:34 PM »
Its simple to hook it up to your computer. All you do is get a 2 male end headphone style cable, and hook it into your line in port.

Get an antenna :)

I use RG-6 cable, works just fine for me, but you  might want to buy RG-8, 20 bucks at radioshack.

YOu can run it through the wall, just drill a hole!

Quote from: n57flyguy
I want to set up a feed of ILG in the few years before college. I hope on purchasing a Bearcat scanner by next fall. I have a couple questions. How do I hook it up to my computer? I can get an antenna and put it on my roof or back trees somewhere, knowone really cares around me, I  could just say its TV. Now what cable do I need to hook up the scanner to the antenna? How do you run it from the inside to my roof? any help will be appreciated.

Offline Jason

• CFI/CFII
Setup?
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2006, 07:21:34 PM »
Quote from: Lezam
I use RG-6 cable, works just fine for me, but you  might want to buy RG-8, 20 bucks at radioshack.

Are you sure you're using RG6?  RG6 is 75 ohm cable, whereas RG8 is 50 ohm.

Offline Lezam

• KJFK Stream Feeder
Setup?
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2006, 07:26:09 PM »
Quote from: Jason
Quote from: Lezam

Are you sure you're using RG6?  RG6 is 75 ohm cable, whereas RG8 is 50 ohm.

yup, I was told RG-8 is best for transmitting, and RG-6 is better for receiving. The guy bought it for me anyways :) I live so close to the airport, and get such good reception, that I doubt it will make that much of a difference...

Offline n57flyguy

Setup?
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2006, 06:49:18 AM »
Alright, but now I need another internet connection, and thats going to take too long. I'll still see what I can do, thanks for helping me out.

Offline Lezam

• KJFK Stream Feeder
Setup?
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2006, 08:03:31 AM »
Quote from: n57flyguy
Alright, but now I need another internet connection, and thats going to take too long. I'll still see what I can do, thanks for helping me out.

If you have one, you could use it :)

Offline n57flyguy

Setup?
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2006, 10:06:45 AM »
I do but its a bad location for a scanner to get reception from an antenna. And it is unreliable sometimes, it wirless and really sucks sometimes. I would doubt my bad fells like hearing numbers all day to (music to me). I'll talk to him and see If I could work somthing out. I really would like to set up ILG and put N57 up to. ILG has got some great operations.

Offline Lezam

• KJFK Stream Feeder
Setup?
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2006, 10:08:14 AM »
Do you get any reception from it? MAybe when you get a new antenna... Also, your dad wont hear a thing :)

Offline n57flyguy

Setup?
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2006, 11:28:45 AM »
I told my dad, he wont care, so now it just goes back to time and money. When I told him I need to build an antenna, he just looked at me, I thought it was pretty funny, but If I have resources, Ill set up ILG if all goes well.

Offline Lezam

• KJFK Stream Feeder
Setup?
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2006, 01:29:35 PM »
if ya need any help, this is the place to ask :)

Offline n57flyguy

Setup?
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2006, 02:26:37 PM »
I will ask, because I will need help, to start I need to get a scanner. How much do those cables cost? How much will I need?
I am figuring running a wire from a table where my computer is to my computer and another cable out to the antenna that Ill build. To get the best reception Im going to have to build it high and mount it a bit discretly so questions dont come up. That my plan for now so Ill get back to you for more help, thanks.

Offline Lezam

• KJFK Stream Feeder
Setup?
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2006, 02:28:26 PM »
Which? Coax? If yes, they run about 20 bucks for a 50 footer at radioshack...

Offline n57flyguy

Setup?
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2006, 02:30:35 PM »
Yeah, Im going to need a bit more than that. Kind of stupid q, but can you attach more than one?

Offline Lezam

• KJFK Stream Feeder
Setup?
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2006, 02:40:15 PM »
Sure can, but I would reccomend getting a longer cable :) You would prob want a RG-8 50 ohm low loss cable. Longer the cable, more loss...

Offline n57flyguy

Setup?
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2006, 02:57:00 PM »
Thats what i figured. How do I get it Through my house?

Offline Lezam

• KJFK Stream Feeder
Setup?
« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2006, 02:58:08 PM »
Drill a hole in the wall?  :lol:  :roll:

Offline n57flyguy

Setup?
« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2006, 03:00:47 PM »
See, that wont go through my dad, but it will go throught he wall!!!!HAHAHHA. Ill see what I can do. Here is the scanner I want...
http://cgi.ebay.com/BC350C-UNIDEN-BEARCAT-POLICE-SCANNER-100-Channels-BC350_W0QQitemZ5873222289QQcategoryZ3281QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

sorry for that long link, brand new 100 bucks, not bad.

Offline Lezam

• KJFK Stream Feeder
Setup?
« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2006, 03:02:46 PM »
On that listing, if its suck a good price, why didnt anyone buy it yet :) I dont know alot about desktop scanners, but I do know a deal about handhelds...