Author Topic: Gas balloon team crash into powerline nearby DFW  (Read 1546 times)

Offline PalmANN

Gas balloon team crash into powerline nearby DFW
« on: October 12, 2023, 07:06:51 AM »
I am trying to find an audio for their clearance over DFW. Anyone could help?
They went over Decatur (KLUD) 09th of October at 2:25 PM Dallas time (19:25UTC) and hit the ground 7:25 PM Dallas time (00:25UTC).

That's from the official statement released by the Organizers:
Officials with the Gordon Bennett Cup issued the following statement concerning the Poland
Team 1 accident near Crandall, Texas:
Monday evening, a sport gas balloon participating in the 66th Gordon Bennett Cup, an
international distance competition, was involved in an accident which included coming into
contact with a powerline near Crandall Texas, located Southeast of Dallas. The Balloon, Poland
Team 1, was piloted by Krzystotf Zapart and Pjotr Halas, both are residents of Poland. Both
pilots sustained injuries and were transported to Parkland Hospital in Dallas, Texas. Mr.
Zapart, the lead pilot sustained cuts and burns to his legs and arms, Mr. Halas is being treated
for burns and broken bones to his legs and mid-section. Both are experienced gas balloon pilots
who have logged significant time in gas balloons. Our thoughts are with the gentlemen, their
families and friends for a full and complete recovery.
Poland Team 1 was one of 17 gas balloons participating in the Gordon Bennett Cup. The team
was the first to take flight when the launch window opened on Saturday evening, 8:30 pm. All of
the balloon teams launched from Balloon Fiesta Park in Albuquerque New Mexico; traveling
east toward the Texas New Mexico Border, the team took winds that angled them toward the
Dallas Fort Worth Area, crossing over Arlington at approximately 3:30pm Central
Time. Poland Team 1 was flying at an altitude of 12,000 feet to pass over the Dallas Fort Worth
Airspace, and started their descent a short time later. The balloon’s tracking device indicated
that the aircrafts motion had stopped at 7:25pm. There was good weather and good visibility in
Crandall at the time of the accident.
All of the balloons are filled with Hydrogen Gas, this is an industry standard for flying gas
balloons in both North America and Europe, where the sport is very popular.
The team’s two person chase crew was in Wichita Falls, Texas at the time of the accident. This
is typical for gas balloon chase crew to stage in an area for a time and then to catch up with the
team. The chase crew are now with the pilots in Dallas.
The Gordon Bennet Competition continues today, there are 8 teams still in flight, several are
anticipated to be landing this morning.

Offline KB4TEZ

Re: Gas balloon team crash into powerline nearby DFW
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2023, 09:44:14 AM »
I did some scanning around the DFW freqs, and hadn't found anything,
could have been on Ft. Worth Center, will check there next, but the audio would be sketchy at best.
Will keep listening around.

I attached the map of that day as well.

Offline PalmANN

Re: Gas balloon team crash into powerline nearby DFW
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2023, 06:15:13 AM »
Thank you for an effort KB4TEZ!
I checked few recordings from KDFW already, but I am thinking, maybe I should try on some generic ZFW ARTCC? Would you have a suggestion which frequencies it is worth to check?