airtraffic

Author Topic: THY Boeing 737-800 at Istanbul on Jan 26, tail scrape on departure  (Read 9158 times)

Offline GeoffSM1

Aircraft departed Istanbul's runway 05 when the crew received indication of a tail strike and stopped the climb at 5000 feet. The aircraft entered a hold, later a second hold at 6000 feet to burn off fuel and returned to Istanbul for a safe landing on runway 35L about 3:40 hours after departure.

I have included somewhat lengthy communications in Turkish in my audio clip on the assumption that they relate to the tail strike incident. I do not speak Turkish and I apologise if my assumption is wide of the mark.

Offline demarks1

Re: THY Boeing 737-800 at Istanbul on Jan 26, tail scrape on departure
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2017, 05:20:58 PM »
It almost sounded like a stuck mic at times. I would love to get a translation!

Offline VASAviation

• REAL ATC Transcripted Videos
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2017, 09:03:26 AM »
Hi there,

A follower is helping me transcribe this audio. Find below the first part of the audio transcribed in Turkish and Enligsh so we can understand what they say. My huge thanks to Alp from here for his help.

PS: I have just pasted what he sent so there might be mistakes (I've actually seen some). Important here is to understand the Turkish comms :-) :-)

ATC: ... Wind 350 degrees 15 knots, cleared for takeoff, have a good flight (iyi uçuşlar)
PILOT: Cleared for takeoff runway 05, THY350
PILOT: ... request 5000 feet. (**not understandable**)
ATC: Say again, please?
PILOT: We have tail strike, request 5000 feet.
ATC: You are now at Tower frequency, contact 120.450 (Tower frekansındasınız, 120.450 ile irtibat kurun.)
PILOT: OK, I am switching. (Tamam, geçiyorum.)
****ON 120.450*****
PILOT: Yeşilköy hello, THY350 we have tail strike after takeoff request holding...at 5000 feet.
ATC: Turkish 350, holding 5000 feet and ...... ( *** not understandable*** )
PILOT: Tail Strike on takeoff, request holding an airpoint, 350.
ATC: 5000 feet left turn to BKZ (BEYKOZ VOR).
PILOT: BEYKOZ (BKZ) via left turn, 5000 feet, THY350. We are now joining hold, my captain. (Şu anda HOLD'a giriyoruz, kaptanım.)
PILOT, Turkish 350, there are heavy turbulance here, could you please take us from here to anywhere else that aren't heavily turbulanced with vectors, if possible. (THY350, burada yoğun türbilans var, çok yoğun türbilans olmayan bir yere bizi vektörleyebilir misiniz, mümkünse?)
ATC: THY350, affirm. Is your positin OK? (Anlaşıldı, pozisyonunuz uygun mu?)
PILOT: Sir, can I trutn to 030 heading, now? (Efendim şu an 030 headinge geçebilir miyim, sıfır otuza?)
ATC: Affirm sir, heading 030 approved. You can call us if you need climbing. Also, we are checking the runway and .... (**he says something about checking the runway**)
PILOT: Now we'll climb 6000 feet and we'll continue heading 030. By the way, there are icing on the ....... .
ATC: 6000 feet and heading 030 approved.
ATC: THY350, will be left turn to heading 290....

Offline GeoffSM1

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2017, 02:37:59 PM »
Many thanks!

Offline wiss

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2017, 06:49:25 PM »
Hi there,

A follower is helping me transcribe this audio. Find below the first part of the audio transcribed in Turkish and Enligsh so we can understand what they say. My huge thanks to Alp from here for his help.

PS: I have just pasted what he sent so there might be mistakes (I've actually seen some). Important here is to understand the Turkish comms :-) :-)

ATC: ... Wind 350 degrees 15 knots, cleared for takeoff, have a good flight (iyi uçuşlar)
PILOT: Cleared for takeoff runway 05, THY350
PILOT: ... request 5000 feet. (**not understandable**)
ATC: Say again, please?
PILOT: We have tail strike, request 5000 feet.
ATC: You are now at Tower frequency, contact 120.450 (Tower frekansındasınız, 120.450 ile irtibat kurun.)
PILOT: OK, I am switching. (Tamam, geçiyorum.)
****ON 120.450*****
PILOT: Yeşilköy hello, THY350 we have tail strike after takeoff request holding...at 5000 feet.
ATC: Turkish 350, holding 5000 feet and ...... ( *** not understandable*** ) and say your problem again
PILOT: Tail Strike on takeoff, request holding an airpoint, 350.  I think he says "request holding at any point"
ATC: 5000 feet left turn to BKZ (BEYKOZ VOR).
PILOT: BEYKOZ (BKZ) via left turn, 5000 feet, THY350. We are now joining hold, my captain. (Şu anda HOLD'a giriyoruz, kaptanım.)
PILOT, Turkish 350, there are heavy turbulance here, could you please take us from here to anywhere else that aren't heavily turbulanced with vectors, if possible. (THY350, burada yoğun türbilans var, çok yoğun türbilans olmayan bir yere bizi vektörleyebilir misiniz, mümkünse?)
ATC: THY350, affirm. Is your positin OK? (Anlaşıldı, pozisyonunuz uygun mu?)
PILOT: Sir, can I trutn to 030 heading, now? (Efendim şu an 030 headinge geçebilir miyim, sıfır otuza?)
ATC: Affirm sir, heading 030 approved. You can call us if you need climbing. Also, we are checking the runway and .... (**he says something about checking the runway**)
PILOT: Now we'll climb 6000 feet and we'll continue heading 030. By the way, there are icing on the ....... .
ATC: 6000 feet and heading 030 approved.
ATC: THY350, will be left turn to heading 290....

Hope these slight corrections can help you, keep up the good work Victor! I follow your channel since a while