airtraffic

Author Topic: Runway incursion at BOS  (Read 19644 times)

Offline PHL Approach

Runway incursion at BOS
« on: February 13, 2006, 07:55:59 PM »
"The intricacies of Boston’s Logan Airport are well-known to both pilots and controllers and others who operate various equipment around the tarmac. It’s a small layout, with many crossings of taxiways and runways. Extreme focus is essential at all times, because even the most innocent of movements can quickly turn into a potential incident.

Such was the case on the morning of last Aug. 8. Logan Tower controllers were using Runways 22 Left and 27 for landing and Runway 22 Right for departures. The ground controller on duty was Kevin Winn. His veteran colleague on local control was James Sawyer. The simultaneous actions of both men involving the same aircraft helped prevent a potential disaster.

A Federal Express jet, an Airbus 300, operated by a non-pilot – likely a mechanic – requested taxi instructions from the FedEx ramp to perform a maintenance procedure called a high-powered run-up. Winn instructed the aircraft to proceed via taxiway kilo and hold short of Taxiway Charlie. Charlie turns right 90 degrees off kilo and intersects Runway 22R, so Winn gave the FedEx some very important instructions.

Winn told the FedEx to make the right turn onto taxiway Charlie and clearly added that the jet should hold short of Runway 22R. The jet’s operator acknowledged the transmission, but then proceeded to do the very thing he was instructed to avoid – cross Runway 22R. Winn immediately caught it: “FedEx 661 STOP!” He then told the aircraft to hold short of Runway 22L and pointed out the operator’s error, saying, “FedEx 661, uh, you just crossed Runway 22 Right on your own, you know that.” The operator acknowledged and said he didn’t realize the mistake until he had found himself halfway across the runway.

Winn, confident that FedEx 661 was not going to proceed any further and risk crossing 22L then instructed the aircraft to change frequency, and monitor the tower’s local control. But by then, Sawyer had already tried and failed to reach FedEx661 as it approached Runway 22R and did not look like it was going to stop short. Sawyer was forced to make some quick decisions regarding a JetBlue flight off 22R, which he had moments earlier cleared for takeoff. But upon failing to reach the FedEx operator, Sawyer immediately canceled JetBlue’s takeoff clearance and averted a serious incident.

“These controllers are very deserving of this award because of their quick reaction,” Boston Tower NATCA Facility Representative Tom Coronite said. “Because he was scanning the operating area, James saw the FedEx aircraft moving fast and, even though that aircraft was not his responsibility, he took immediate action. As FedEx was not on his frequency, he quickly went to the JetBlue pilot and canceled his takeoff clearance. Otherwise, the FedEx and the JetBlue may have collided at the Runway 22 Right and the Taxiway Charlie (C) intersection.”"

------------------

Transcripts

CONTROLLERS: Kevin Winn and James Sawyer

August 8, 2005

WINN: FedEx six sixty one heavy, I understand you’re ready to go. You can taxi via kilo and hold short of charlie.

FEDEX 661: Kilo, hold short of charlie, thank you.

WINN: FedEx six sixty one, get rid of those two Eagles.

FEDEX 661: Ok, we’ll get clear.

WINN: FedEx six sixty one heavy, make a right turn at taxiway charlie and hold short of two-two right.

FEDEX 661: Right on Charlie and hold short of two-two, thank you, six sixty one.

WINN: FedEx six sixty one stop!

WINN: FedEx six sixty one heavy, Boston.

FEDEX 661: Go ahead, six sixty one.

WINN: FedEx six sixty one heavy, hold short of runway two two left, acknowledge.

FEDEX 661: Hold short of two two left, acknowledge.

WINN: FedEx six sixty one, ah, you just crossed runway two two right on your own, you know that.

FEDEX 661: Ah, yes sir, we realized that about halfway across.

WINN: FedEx six sixty one heavy, I want you to stop right there.

FEDEX 661: Ok, this is six sixty one.

WINN: FedEx six sixty one heavy, I want you to switch to and monitor tower now on one three two, point two two.

FEDEX 661: One three two, point two two.

SAWYER: JetBlue four forty one, Boston Tower, when you have access runway two two right position hold, traffic will cross downfield prior to your departure.

JETBLUE 441: Position hold, two two right, JetBlue four forty one.

SAWYER: Commuter eighty seven oh four, Boston.

COMMUTER 8704: Go ahead, sir, commuter eighty seven oh four.

SAWYER: Eighty seven oh four, traffic’s still holding in position, make the right turn on runway four left and taxi down to foxtrot, please, I got a FedEx heavy jet coming out that taxiway to gulf coming around.

SAWYER: JetBlue four forty one, two two right, cleared for takeoff.

JETBLUE 441: Cleared for takeoff, two two right, JetBlue four forty one.

SAWYER: FedEx six sixty one stop!

SAWYER: JetBlue four forty one cancel takeoff clearance, hold the position.

JETBLUE 441: Holding in position, JetBlue four forty one.

Offline n57flyguy

Runway incursion at BOS
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2006, 09:06:13 PM »
wow, cool stuff. thanks PHL.

Offline KMSY

Runway incursion at BOS
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2006, 09:49:09 PM »
Jeez- Exciting/crazy stuff. Great job Boston.

Offline digger

Runway incursion at BOS
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2006, 07:33:48 AM »
A question for one of the BOS guys--the controller referenced in the thread http:// http://www.liveatc.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=481 is that the same Kevin Winn?

Offline PIT

Runway incursion at BOS
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2006, 11:15:26 PM »
well, everyone makes a misteak now and than but to have two misteaks right in a row. someone needs to wake up.

Offline KSYR-pjr

Runway incursion at BOS
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2006, 08:32:17 AM »
Quote from: PIT
well, everyone makes a misteak now and than but to have two misteaks right in a row. someone needs to wake up.

Where was the second mistake?

Offline knish1231

Runway incursion at BOS
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2006, 08:56:20 AM »
First crossing 22R.  Then after some talking to he goes ahead and starts to cross 22L when he was told to stop.

i think i got that right...

Offline KSYR-pjr

Runway incursion at BOS
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2006, 09:02:34 AM »
Quote from: knish1231
First crossing 22R.  Then after some talking to he goes ahead and starts to cross 22L when he was told to stop.

My interpretation of the transcript differs.  FedEx never had any intention of crossing 22L and was merely taxiing up to the hold short, as he was instructed to do so by ground.   In seeing this movement, the tower controller  *thought* FedEx was going to cross 22L, given the FedEx 22R incursion moments earlier *and* given the fact that the tower controller was not in two-way communication with him.

With the JetBlue about to take off, the tower controller had very little time to react, so he shouted "STOP" to the FedEx aircraft (even though FedEx may not have been on frequency) and canceled JetBlue's  takeoff clearance.

Again, my interpretation is that the FedEx never crossed the hold short of 22L, thus no second mistake was made.

Offline digger

Runway incursion at BOS
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2006, 08:46:33 PM »
Read the initial post:

Quote:
Winn, confident that FedEx 661 was not going to proceed any further and risk crossing 22L then instructed the aircraft to change frequency, and monitor the tower’s local control. But by then, Sawyer had already tried and failed to reach FedEx661 as it approached Runway 22R and did not look like it was going to stop short. Sawyer was forced to make some quick decisions regarding a JetBlue flight off 22R, which he had moments earlier cleared for takeoff. But upon failing to reach the FedEx operator, Sawyer immediately canceled JetBlue’s takeoff clearance and averted a serious incident.

Winn must have intended to issue the frequency change while FedEx was holding short of 22R, as instructed. When FedEx failed to hold at that point, obviously the frequency change was not yet issued. Sawyer's attempt to contact FedEx was futile, as they had not yet been instructed to change to his frequency, thus he cancelled JetBlue's takeoff clearance, in a timely fashion, knowing that at least *they* were on his frequency.

Once across 22R, FedEx held short of 22L, as then instructed.

One mistake, but a pretty big one...

Offline davolijj

• MMAC ARSR OKC
Runway incursion at BOS
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2006, 08:53:47 PM »
Quote from: KSYR-pjr
My interpretation of the transcript differs....Again, my interpretation is that the FedEx never crossed the hold short of 22L, thus no second mistake was made.

If you listen to the recording though, JBU was departing 22R not 22L.  So the Local controller did avert a potential collision, but it was with the initial runway incursion on 22R.  Everything after that including the speculation of whether or not the FedEx Airbus would cross 22L was trivial.  I think the narrative was erroneous.

Offline KSYR-pjr

Runway incursion at BOS
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2006, 09:12:04 PM »
Quote from: davolijj
If you listen to the recording though, JBU was departing 22R not 22L.  So the Local controller did avert a potential collision, but it was with the initial runway incursion on 22R.  Everything after that including the speculation of whether or not the FedEx Airbus would cross 22L was trivial.  I think the narrative was erroneous.

Thanks, JD.  I missed that minor detal.  :)

Offline digger

Runway incursion at BOS
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2006, 10:57:32 PM »
I think the narrative was erroneous.

I think the narrative was correct. It is a little confusing when you listen to the audio, because you hear both controllers talking to FedEx.

So the Local controller did avert a potential collision, but it was with the initial runway incursion on 22R.

I agree. The confusion, I believe, stems from the transmission by Sawyer, the local controller, telling FedEx to stop. At that time, FedEx was still on ground's (Winn's), frequency, because he had not been given the frequency change yet--ground expected to hand him off to local as he was holding short of 22R, which is what he failed to do. I'm not sure who compiled the clip, but I believe that some of it must overlap between the two freequencies--that is, some of the transmissions on the clip were being made at approximately the same time. Local's instruction to "stop", was given in the belief that if FedEx was crossing 22R, he must've already been on local's frequency. The potential collision was averted when local shut down JetBlue--the only option that would work, because FedEx wasn't with him yet.

Does that make sense?