Author Topic: 2 Emergencies at KAUS in 2 Weeks  (Read 16778 times)

Offline beachdarryl0202

• KHYI Feeder
2 Emergencies at KAUS in 2 Weeks
« on: August 11, 2010, 06:07:57 PM »
I was made aware by a family member that works in the airport that there was a declared hydraulic emergency on Monday. I didn't get much info about it being second or even third hand information, but she did know it was Delta and thought it was around the time of AF1's TFR. I did some questioning about it and started listening through the archives, and eventually found out it was about 2 hours before the VIP TFR. DAL1949 checked in with Approach and declared an emergency for a hydraulics failure. I've done some heavy editing and created this file, just the important transmissions caught by the feed. Unfortunately they put him on a rarely-used frequency on short final that this feed doesn't scan, but it's still an interesting clip. They apparently landed safely and even made it to the gate after being checked out by ground crews.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2010, 03:01:03 PM by beachdarryl0202 »

Offline beachdarryl0202

• KHYI Feeder
Re: 2 Emergencies at KAUS in 2 Weeks
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2010, 03:05:19 PM »
I love having a family member work at the airport. This afternoon she called from work telling me that another emergency was in progress. So I got to hear this real time on the KAUS feed, and then I was able to tune my scanner to the emergency frequency to catch the end of it (sorry for the interruption, KBAZ listeners). SWA2313 on its way to Denver suffered an engine failure and had to immediately return to AUS. No cause is known yet for the failure, but no mentions of bird activity either. Here's what I've patched together from both the AUS & BAZ feed.

Offline aerobrat

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2010, 02:25:44 PM »
Thanks for the audio clip! I was on SWA2313 on 8-19; it was an interesting ride, and I paid close attention (had a window seat on the right side behind the wing) and made notes after we landed. I've also talked it over with a friend who flies 737s for another airline. The pilots on this flight did everything by the book, including an immediate level-off, a ten-mile-plus downwind, shallow turns into the good (right) engine, a long, stable final, 15 degrees of flaps, gear down only when we were close to the runway, and a landing that seemed normal except that they had fire trucks in position and, being heavy, we used all of 17R (12,000'-plus). The cabin crew kept the pax only as informed as we needed to be--which meant that everybody was edgy but quiet and optimistic. Some of us--especially those on the left side-- figured out what was up pretty quickly.

It was the hot topic of the hour, of course, as we waited at the gate for a replacement aircraft to take us up to Denver, and I missed my connection to Boise, but as a pilot of small singles, I appreciate the experience. It's not every day that we get to see the crew handle perfectly in real life what they practice in the sims. My 737 pilot friend has only had two engine failures in 20,000 hours, so this is not something I expect to encounter again.

Offline beachdarryl0202

• KHYI Feeder
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2010, 06:42:25 PM »
I am glad that y'all returned safely, and it is good to hear a story from the inside. I noticed the professionalism as well, as there only seemed to be a short moment of urgency or panic on what sounded like the FO's part, which was quickly reassured by the controller. Better you miss your connection to Boise than the alternative.  :wink:

BTW, did they ever tell y'all what caused the failure? I don't think it was a bird strike, must've been mechanical.

Offline kharvick292192

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2010, 08:11:30 PM »
According to a SWA pilot that I know that lives in the Austin area it was due to an oil leak, they shut down the engine as a precautionary measure.

Offline squeegeeboy

• You like airplanes too?
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2010, 04:53:13 PM »
Wow, glad everything turned out fine. Sounds like the SWA guys handled it well.