Author Topic: Dad and 4 year old make emergency landing in St. Lucie.  (Read 2626 times)

Offline KB4TEZ

Dad and 4 year old make emergency landing in St. Lucie.
« on: August 03, 2021, 01:14:18 PM »
https://cbs12.com/news/local/small-plane-makes-emergency-landing-in-st-lucie-county

FORT PIERCE, Fla. (CBS12) — A pilot of a small plane and his 4-year-old son made an emergency landing in St. Lucie County after the engine on their small plane sputtered in mid-air.

The St. Lucie County Fire District said the plane landed near Glades Cutoff Road and NW Delcris Drive just after 11 a.m. on Monday. This is just southeast of I-95 and W. Midway Road near White City.

"About 15 minutes or so after we took off, we had some engine issues," said Adam Williams, the pilot who had to make the emergency landing Monday morning.

Williams and his son were flying above 2,200 feet in the sky at the time of the incident.

"When we started to go down and started turning, he realized something wasn’t quite right," said Williams, as he described his son's reaction. "So as I was talking to the tower controller, he grabbed my arm said 'daddy, daddy' and I can tell he was concerned." "There’s a shock factor that you experience as a pilot if something goes the wrong way," said Williams. "And it usually takes about 4 or 5 seconds for that 'oh crap moment' to hit you. You realize it and start making moves. And then I went back to my training. You have a couple of things that you do. You fly at a good speed, you find a good place to land. You do a checklist."  Pilot Adam Williams told Port St. Lucie Police the engine on his Cessna 140 sputtered then stopped at about 2,200 feet in the air.

Williams said the road appeared to be the best landing spot.

Williams was on his way to Boca Raton.

No one was hurt.

Williams, according to police, has been a pilot for nine years and runs his own flight school.
Modify message