Author Topic: DA40 Violated Airspace - TRACON and Police Tracked/Pursued  (Read 5929 times)

Offline Fryy/Avocadoflight

• CalAggieFlyers
DA40 Violated Airspace - TRACON and Police Tracked/Pursued
« on: December 04, 2020, 02:32:14 PM »
Picked this one up recently in Sacramento. A Diamond Star violated KMHR's Class D and possibly the Class C around Sacramento. Two law enforcement aircraft attempted to pursue along with NCT APP. I picked up the air-air comms on my personal scanner between both LE aircraft and added it to the clip. I tried to edit it down as much as possible without removing too much relevant audio, but the clip is still around 16 minutes. Each frequency change is separated by beeps.

Not sure what the outcome eventually was, the audio ends with them discussing a ground unit attempted to meet the aircraft as it landed at KGOO, the unit arrived within two minutes of receiving the call, the airport lights were activated, but the aircraft/pilot were no where insight. No heat signatures showed on the LE's FLIR system.

« Last Edit: February 13, 2023, 06:30:30 PM by Fryy - Avocado Flight »

Offline aviator_06

• FSFlightSchool.com - Student Pilot Resources | Aviation Videos
Re: DA40 Violated Airspace - TRACON and Police Tracked/Pursued
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2020, 04:43:27 PM »
Wonder if it was a student pilot?

• CalAggieFlyers
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2020, 08:19:10 PM »
My guess is some one just not knowing the airspace. Seemed more like a late night joyride, as it was around 1030pm-Midnight. It's been a while since I've flown but if I'm not mistaken there isn't any student solo night flights allowed?

Offline Rick108

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2020, 09:42:18 AM »
Here is the flight path, in case you are interested:

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/N505WT

Looks like he busted at least three different airspaces, not to mention flying much too low over populated areas...  It must have been an interesting phone call once they found him and gave him The Number!

I also notice that particular DA40 hasn't made another flight since then - I suspect the pilot may be grounded for ... a while......

• CalAggieFlyers
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2020, 06:48:25 PM »
Yeah, I just want to see what the video looks like from the Sheriff/CHP aircraft..

Offline tyketto

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2020, 01:15:01 PM »
Here is the flight path, in case you are interested:

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/N505WT

Looks like he busted at least three different airspaces, not to mention flying much too low over populated areas...  It must have been an interesting phone call once they found him and gave him The Number!

I also notice that particular DA40 hasn't made another flight since then - I suspect the pilot may be grounded for ... a while......

I saw this. The idiot flew over my house. I live roughly about 4nm north of the approach end of 22L/R at KMHR, and with the CHP always making runs over the river and the USCG always overflying from them coming in and out of KMCC, I didn't give this much of a second thought, outside the fact that he was a bit too low from what I normally see. I thought he was having a problem and was trying to bleed off speed as he was going into an S-turn instead of trying to enter a right base for the 22s. So I didn't give it a second thought, nor thought to pull up the KMHR/NCT feed or pull out my scanner to find out.

Yeah.. If he wasn't talking to ATC, he did either a low approach or touch-and-go at KLMN, busted the KMHR Class D, busted the KSAC Class D, and buzzed the UC Davis Hospital. He's lucky he stayed below the outer shelf of the KSMF Class C. Yeah.. his cert is gone.

BL.

Offline RDH

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2020, 12:47:00 AM »
I think it’s a female pilot ...

Offline martyj19

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2020, 03:55:10 PM »
That's a remarkable picture, if I am seeing what I think I am.  Even if it were okay to walk on that part of the wing, I wouldn't put the weight of three adults on it at the same time.

Offline Rick108

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2020, 07:36:10 PM »
That's a remarkable picture, if I am seeing what I think I am.  Even if it were okay to walk on that part of the wing, I wouldn't put the weight of three adults on it at the same time.
As the owner of a DA40 myself... I see they are sitting on the wing root and not the actual wing itself.  That part is an extension of the fuselage and quite sturdy, being fairly thick carbon fiber and molded as a single piece with the airframe itself.  I would object to the one girl leaving her boot-print in my wing though!  :|