Author Topic: Couple of good videos (off site)  (Read 20585 times)

Offline sean

Couple of good videos (off site)
« on: February 09, 2006, 08:36:46 PM »
I know most of you guys like the aircraft with the fan up front, but for those of us that prefer the one on top:

And just to show that I'm "fair and balanced," here's one for you guys that can't fly at 5 knots:

Offline n57flyguy

« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2006, 08:40:07 PM »
liked the crash one better :D maybe Van Hellan didn't do it for me!!!!

Offline n57flyguy

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2006, 09:18:31 PM »
:shock:  :shock:  :shock:  :shock:  :shock:  :shock:  :shock:  :shock:
youll see what I mean.....

http://www.youtube.com/w/bad-landing?v=Kd4GTd1c42s&search=landing

This one is way better.....challange :D

Offline CorruptHawkEyez

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2006, 12:08:44 PM »
That last video was actually a decent landing for the approach procedures to that particular airport.  Right now I can't for the life of me remember which airport that was at, but if my memory serves me correctly; that airport was shutdown.

Offline webdenis12

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2006, 04:59:00 PM »
Quote from: CorruptHawkEyez
That last video was actually a decent landing for the approach procedures to that particular airport.  Right now I can't for the life of me remember which airport that was at, but if my memory serves me correctly; that airport was shutdown.

Hong Kong Old airport - Kai Tac

Offline Polehill

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2006, 07:35:30 PM »
That was the old "chequerboard approach" to kai tak.
And that landing was lousy!! many many approaches flown into Kai Tak every day when it was open, and rarely was anything like that mess of an approach made. there are lots of videos available of perfectly smooth landings there, and its fascinating to watch. The Lighting system was known as LITAS, and the approach was not an instrument approach in the normal sense, it was known as a IGS system, (IGS meaning instrument Guidance system)
Having said that, what fun it was ..lining up directly towards a mountain, spotting the chequerboard markers, making the near 45 degree turn to the right at 2 miles, dropping the speed, dangling the gear, keeping the power up, flying so low you could see what people were watching on TV as you passed over the buildings, and making sure you didnt run into the sea at the other end!!
Ohhh..and if the Southwest monsoon was blowing..as appears to be the case here, taking account of a substantial crosswind component.
Ahhh the old days...

Offline n57flyguy

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2006, 10:28:15 PM »
I know a guy who was telling me about that old VOR. I didn't know that was old Hong Kong. Wow, still amazing.