airtraffic

Author Topic: CL-600 lost both engines, highway landing flattens pickup truck, fire, S Florida  (Read 1146 times)

Offline sprinkle

A Hop-a-Jet CL-600 Challenger jet lost both engines approaching KAPF, couldn't make runway so attempted an emergency landing on highway I-75. Seems that it collided with a pickup truck, flattening the pickup truck, spinning the aircraft 180 degrees, and igniting a large fire. Still a very new situation at the time of writing this.

Quick transcript I typed up of the ATC communications during and directly after the emergency was declared:

ATC: ...574 runway 23 turn right heading 270 clear for takeoff traffic 3-mile final Challenger Jet.

HPJ823: Okay uh, Challenger uh, Hop-a-Jet 823. Lost both engines, emergency. I'm making an emergency landing.

ATC: Whoevers... goddamn emergency cleared to land runway 23. Is that Hop-a-Jet 823?

HPJ823: Uh, we're cleared to land but we're not gonna make the runway, we've lost both engines. (last message from the challenger jet to ATC that I heard)

(32 seconds later)

ATC: ...there are two northwest right over I-75, Hop-a-Jet 823 uh...

(17 seconds later)

Woman: Everybody standby, there's an alert 3 in progress, everybody standby.

(20 seconds later)

Rescue Helicopter: (???) 5 rescue helicopter request (???)

ATC: (???) 5 proceed direct as requested.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2024, 06:19:36 PM by sprinkle »

Offline StarTheAvgeek

• Canadian ATC listener, good at transcription.
Here is a more detailed transcript for those who want it:

HPJ823: Hop-A-Jet 823 is with you on a right downwind for five-mile final, Runway 23.

APF_TWR: Hop-A-Jet 823, Roger, make a right turn back towards the airport, atleast one departure ahead [of you], A challenger jet, Runway 23, cleared to land, wind 220 @ 12 Gusts 16

HPJ823: Alright, Challenger Jet departing, we're turning back towards the airport, and cleared to land Runway 23, Hop-A-Jet 823.

(comms in clip)

APF_TWR: FlexJet 574, Runway 23, turn right heading 270, cleared for takeoff, traffic three-mile final, Challenger jet.

LXJ574: FlexJet 574- (brief stepped over by HPJ823) cleared for takeoff.

HPJ823: Okay, Challenger uh- Hop-A-Jet  823.. lost both engines, emergency. I'm making an emergency landing.

APF_TWR: Whoever's.. got that emergency, cleared to land Runway 23, is that Hop-A-Jet 823?

HPJ823: Uh, we're cleared to land but we're not gonna make the runway, we've lost both engines. (Last transmission.)

(21 seconds later, keyed mic from the Tower, assumably someone saying "He's down!")

N205LE: Tower, SHADOW 5, where they at?

APF_TWR: SHADOW 5, they are two northwest right over I-75, Hop-A-Jet 823 uh..

(17s later)

APF_GND: Everybody standby, there's an Alert 3 in progress, everybody standby.

(20s later)

N205LE: Tower, SHADOW-5, rescue helicopter, request to go to the scene.

APF_TWR: SHADOW-5, proceed direct as requested.

Offline Fryy/Avocadoflight

• CalAggieFlyers
Thanks for the transcription. I attached what I could pick up from the APP/DEP feed, but reception is poor.

Also working on separate fire-rescue audio, which sounds very chaotic with multiple calls regarding the plane crash, and calls about a traffic accident. Which led to some confusion about being the same call or not.

Offline StarTheAvgeek

The approach/departure feed is very poor in terms of reception, but I've attempted to transcribe it by denoising and enhancing the audio.

(Transcript starts at 00:08:896)

HPJ823: Airport's in sight, Hop-A-Jet 823.

00:12:579 HPJ823: Straight in, cleared Visual 23, Hop-A-Jet 823.

00:16:665 HPJ823: Alright, we'll slow back to final [approach speed], Hop-A-Jet 823.

00:29:832 HPJ823: mile final, 28.5, good day, Hop-A-Jet 823.

00:36:598 N50HF: We got him, We got him, Uh.. Right off our nose, right off before the runway.

00:43:011 N50HF: Uh, off of our heading right now, we're flying [a] heading 20-210, he is just off of our nose.. on about a uh, 230 heading.

00:59:289 N50HF: .. if we head back to Paige (Field), we watched that happen, for zero-Hotel-Fox.

01:06:566 N99PR: O.K, We'll uh.. we'll cancel [to join the ground?] for nine-nine-Papa-Romeo.

01:13:789 N99PR: Yes sir, no problem.

01:17:680 N975AC: Report established in the hold, and expect further clearence as of 20:45, .. 75.

(Remarks: I made a rough guess that it was N975AC since I analyzed the full audio and tried to match the voice with other transmissions. the audio is really distorted and I tried my best here.)

Offline StarTheAvgeek

This doesn't help that much, but its a bit more denoised.

Offline StarTheAvgeek

I was indeed right, it sounds absolutely fried. Not sure what happened to that.