airtraffic

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Listener Forum / Re: KPDK Feed
« Last post by Flocker on September 24, 2018, 01:39:22 PM »
PDK Tower audio appears to me missing.  The feed is showing as "up"  Anyone know why?
It happens every single day at JFK not sure why this is a big deal?
Forgetting to turn the bleeds back on is a somewhat common occurence on the 737.

One report of a South Korean 737:
https://aviation-safety.net/reports/2015/20151223_B738_HL8049.pdf
EDIT: avherald article: http://avherald.com/h?article=49158d84&opt=0

Basically they forgot the bleeds, the excessive cabin altitude warning horn sounds and they run the checklist for excessive cabin pressure.
The checklist is basically an emergency procedure and not a good idea when you just forgot the bleeds.

They fully close the outflow valve manually (as the checklist calls for it). Then they decide to continue the climb.
Passengers complain of ear pain as while they were climbing the cabin has fully pressurized to sea level (they were at 10000 ft before).

Now they descend increasing cabin pressure further. Some time they overpressure relief valve opens because the outflow valve is manually closed.
They talk to maintenance at 8000 ft with maximum differential pressure. Because of the differential the cabin is actually below sea level and the needle therefore shows a cabin altitude of 25000 ft (while it is actually -5000 ft or something but the scale can't handle that)

The maintenance engineer advises them to slowly open the outflow valve and they land more or less uneventfully.

So going back to this occurence: When you are at 14000 ft and then fully pressurize the cabin and even descend you can cause quite some hurt because the cabin pressure is increasing quite quickly.

Anyway can't find the second report right now but it seems they should change the checklist to leave it in automatic mode if you just forgot to switch on the bleeds after taking off :(
Aviation Audio Clips / Re: Near deadly runway crash averted at Dulles ATC error.
« Last post by Comfirm31L on September 23, 2018, 09:01:35 PM »
Near deadly? That's a little extreme, no?
Listener Forum / Hyannis feeds silent
« Last post by wiedehopf on September 23, 2018, 01:21:27 PM »
Hello,

the feeds located at Hyannis are unusally quiet.

Now and then there is a transmission but you can only hear aircraft and i'm pretty sure not all of them unless the frequencies have changed.
I'll pay close attention when some Europe bound flights will be handed of to the ACK17/CAPE18 sectors.

Regards

(And while you look at it i'd be grateful if you removed the GIANT KILLER frequencies i've never heard anything on them and the scan delay cuts off some transmissions)

Edit: Just heard a westbound airplane at 22000ft over Martha's Vineyard. Maybe the antenna is kinda dead? :(
Edit2: Heard another plane near Hyannis so the feed is working but reception is limited to close in airplanes.
Aviation Audio Clips / Re: Near deadly runway crash averted at Dulles ATC error.
« Last post by Rick108 on September 22, 2018, 02:15:38 PM »
Here's a trimmed version, if anyone's interested.  Yeah, I'm surprised we haven't heard more about this - a few seconds either way and it could have been a major incident...

It's also interesting that neither of the two pilots that were cleared to cross 19C right after the takeoff clearance on 19C noticed the error and both proceeded to cross in front of the rolling UAL...
Listener Forum / Re: IFR pickup standard phraseology
« Last post by kaposznyak on September 22, 2018, 09:45:01 AM »
Thanks!
« Last post by VASAviation on September 22, 2018, 09:37:31 AM »
Hi,

I am a pilot from Spain and never heard of a standard phraseology for a FP rule change and we've made a few since our main base is an uncontrolled VFR-only airfield. In the US you may receive a full IFR clearance when picking it up airborne "VFR cancelled. You're cleared to the whatever airport via radar vectors. Proceed direct waypoint, maintain FLxxx"

But not in Europe. Not that I know of.
« Last post by kaposznyak on September 22, 2018, 07:11:35 AM »
Thank you.

That is what I have said. Vfr cancelled at..., continue on flight plan route. There was no indication of altitude change.

But the pilot--who is a B747 captain, when working--was not satisfied.

I know he is used to hear full IFR clearences and my short answer seemed odd to him. I tried to find an official phraseology example, but was unable to find any.

Now neithet of us can prove the other wrong :?
« Last post by VASAviation on September 22, 2018, 06:39:12 AM »
Hi there,

It is so simple.

-Aicraft: "At [waypoint], request change to IFR."
-ATC: "VFR cancelled at [time] zulu, [IFR instructions may follow such as vectors or altitudes]"

Regards
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10