Author Topic: What happens when the Media busts a TFR?  (Read 10203 times)

Offline tyketto

What happens when the Media busts a TFR?
« on: February 12, 2013, 05:26:24 PM »

I ask this because of the whole Chris Dorner manhunt and shootout that is going on.

I'm listening currently in to the San Bernardino County Sheriff's feed (5-0 radio app, or radioreference.com), and it just happened that the media (NBC4 and KTLA 5) in Los Angeles were both trying to get the better look at things (as the media always tries to do), and gave away the SWAT team's locations on the air. In doing that, they busted the TFR around L35 (FDC 3/8037).

LEAs there were able to get the TFR changed from SFC-13000ft MSL to SFC-13000ft AGL, and got them to stop their feed.

So my question: What happens when the media busts a TFR? What repercussions do they get, and how would it differ from what a private pilot gets when they bust it?

BL.

Offline Alcahuete

Re: What happens when the Media busts a TFR?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2013, 08:24:00 PM »
The TFR was put out mid-event, so whether or not they actually busted the TFR is certainly in question.  Based upon how the TFR was also distributed at first, I highly doubt they're going to get into any trouble over it.  Once they were made aware of the TFR, all non-law enforcement aircraft (including media) did exit the affected airspace, as far as I'm aware.

Generally, they have the potential of being intercepted and taken into law enforcement custody.  They would then have to deal with the FAA as well.  Not really any different than a private pilot, I wouldn't think. 
« Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 08:29:29 PM by Alcahuete »