airtraffic

Author Topic: VFR Flight Following and Handoff  (Read 16584 times)

Offline billdomg

VFR Flight Following and Handoff
« on: November 01, 2015, 06:00:02 PM »
When doing VFR flight following, right after a handoff, can I request the information (call sign and frequency) for the next handoff? what would be the appropriate phraseology for this request?

My problem is that when they transmit the call sign and frequency for the handoff I'm usually umprepared to copy and often I miss part of the info, they throw those numbers a bit too fast and want to avoid the "say again". If I can request the info I would do it with one hand with pen and paper and be ready so when its time for handoff I would already have the frequency on standby.

Offline StuSEL

Re: VFR Flight Following and Handoff
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2015, 12:25:00 AM »
Although your intentions are good, it is best if you use "say again." If you ask for the information in advance, this will likely lead to some confusion.

Controllers will slow down if you tell them you are a student pilot, if you are one. If you are already a certificated pilot, it is okay to tell them you're a new pilot, too. In either case they will know to take a little bit of extra time with you.

Offline w0x0f

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2015, 09:42:10 PM »
I agree with StuSEL, just use "say again.'

A couple of things that could help you is to listen to some of the LiveATC feeds or archives and pretend you're the pilot when controllers give frequency changes.  You read it back out loud each time and see how well you do.  Try grouping the numbers.  Every frequency starts with a 1, so now all you have to do is remember 4 numbers.  Group them in 2's.  124.75 becomes 24/75.  126.95 becomes 26/95.

w0x0f

Offline billdomg

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2015, 11:30:44 AM »
Thanks for the info. I do listen to LiveATC on ocations but I always listen class D airports, with lots of vfr traffic not doing flight following. I will start listening more to class C or B airports that handle more IFR traffic, they handle more handoffs.