Aviation > Pilot/Controller Forum

Turning the boat around at EWR

(1/3) > >>

keith:
On Mar 11, 11pm EDT, EWR swapped from rwy 22L/R to 4L/R as the winds picked up out of the northwest. If you're curious what that process looks like when there is a sky full of planes, look no further...
http://keith.tristesse.com/object/turning_boat_at_EWR.html

Hats off to the controllers involved in this one...I can only imagine how much coordination this required. If any of the N90 EWR guys would care to comment as to how all of this is managed, I would love to hear it. It's awesome to watch.  Please excuse my amateur commentary on the video, I figured some guidance for the uninitiated would be better than a silent movie.

captray:
That's pretty cool, as a pilot I can appreciate the work that goes into this swap. You didn't memtion that all of this has to be coordinated with LGA, JFK, TEB, and MMU. That's what make the NY metro area controlers the best!

keith:
Very true, although TEB and MMU are fairly quiet at that time of night. In fact, MMU tower wouldn't even have been open.

I was focused on EWR for that video, but, as you eluded to, JFK seems to run the show. Based on a comment left on my site, JFK swapped at 9:40pm, followed by LGA at 10:20 PM.  EWR followed right around 11pm. I wonder if it's any coincidence that each was 40 mins apart.

thedude:
What software are you using to track the flights?

keith:
Passur's Airport Monitor.

I added a link to the EWR Passur feed from that same page.  I use Jing (a free screen/voice recorder that encodes to a Flash video) to record the playback and embed it on the page.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version