airtraffic

Author Topic: Trip runways at KORD  (Read 10065 times)

Offline disorder

Trip runways at KORD
« on: March 28, 2012, 10:42:44 PM »
Hi all,

In some of the runway plans for KORD, there is a runway designated the "TRIP runway".  I thought someone here might be able to tell me what it is?  What trip runway means?  Is the concept restricted to KORD or do other airports use this as well?
Thanks-

Offline ogogog

Re: Trip runways at KORD
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2012, 10:31:57 AM »
Hi all,

In some of the runway plans for KORD, there is a runway designated the "TRIP runway".  I thought someone here might be able to tell me what it is?  What trip runway means?  Is the concept restricted to KORD or do other airports use this as well?
Thanks-

the term trip is a C90 term, not sure if its used at other tracons. it mean that in a rwy conf that it is a third rwy used for over flow traffic the other two rwys cant handle, it is not a full time rwy but only used when needed. an example would be Plan Wierd the two primary rwys are 22R/28 with 27L as the trip rwy during rushes, or plan X with 4R/10 as primary rwys with 9R as the trip rwy. this is not to confused with West Flow 28/27L/27R or plan D 22R/14R/10 which are 3 rwy configs.

OG
C90/retired

Offline disorder

Re: Trip runways at KORD
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2012, 11:51:02 PM »
ah, thanks, OG!

Makes perfect sense (although I am sure there are nuances from the traffic managment point of view).

Thanks!