Aviation > Pilot/Controller Forum

Transcievers / Recieves

(1/3) > >>

scorpia54:
Hi There (first post)

I am a students pilot and have heard that some people carry a handheld radio of some description in their flight bag. So what are the differences between transcievers and recievers? And which model / features should I look for to purchase one to carry in my flight bag in the case of a radio failure? Also I would like to have it on my desk at home to listen to my local airport transmissions.

Is this normal things to do with them? Which models / brands would you guys suggest.
(Live in Australia)
Regards and thx
Jake

scorpia54:
so no one has any advice on hand held radios?

Marty Becker:
I have a Yaesu/Vertex Standard VX-210.  Very nice aviation transceiver.  Check out Icon.  They also make nice aviation transceivers.

KSYR-pjr:
Sorry for the late reply.   My advice is not so much on brand but on features.  Place a high importance on getting one that draws power from regular, non-rechargeable alkaline batteries.  Second on my feature list would be one that accepts the plugs from your aviation headsets.

My hand-held drew its power from a rechargeable battery.  Given that I would leave it in the airplane and that rechargeable batteries lose just about all their power over a month's time, I discovered it was never charged when I pulled it out to test it.   

Jason:

--- Quote from: KSYR-pjr on February 25, 2009, 08:50:26 AM ---Sorry for the late reply.   My advice is not so much on brand but on features.  Place a high importance on getting one that draws power from regular, non-rechargeable alkaline batteries.  Second on my feature list would be one that accepts the plugs from your aviation headsets.

My hand-held drew its power from a rechargeable battery.  Given that I would leave it in the airplane and that rechargeable batteries lose just about all their power over a month's time, I discovered it was never charged when I pulled it out to test it.   

--- End quote ---

I have a Vertex Standard VXA-220 Pro VI transceiver with a rechargeable battery and I can go months without charging it, so I have the opposite experience. It usually sits in my car and allows me to pick up the ATIS from nearby airports as I pass by on my way to work. Not as sophisticated as Dave's car setup, but still works well.  :-)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version