airtraffic

Author Topic: Top U.S. Carriers  (Read 61228 times)

Offline joeyb747

• Nothing Like A 747!
Re: Top U.S. Carriers
« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2009, 09:49:17 PM »
you flew for or on them?

Neither.  My airline parks at 2 (sometimes 3) gates under the saucer right now.

Are you referring to the old Pan Am Worldport Delta took over? That place does have a ton of history.

Very much like the Saarinen, or T5, or TWA Flight Center...whatever you would like to call it. Jet Blue has rejuvenated T5, including the landmark Saarinen Terminal. Great building!

Offline american2492

« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2009, 10:29:09 PM »
Where does comair fly from in NYC?

Offline cessna157

• facebook
« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2009, 10:50:54 AM »
Where does comair fly from in NYC?

Well, let's see...

JFK - our largest hub in the system.  We've got 30-40 gates there, including pad 11.
LGA - still quite a large hub for us.  We practically own the 5 parking spots on the southwestern blast fence, plus a couple gates at the terminal.
EWR - a few flights a day to CVG and ATL
HPN - a few flights a day to CVG  (this might all be RP now though)

I think thats it?  We don't go to ISP or SWF anymore.  Does BDL count as NYC?  We do a lot there too

Offline american2492

« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2009, 11:23:09 AM »
How did you get involved with comair?

Offline cessna157

• facebook
« Reply #29 on: April 26, 2009, 01:17:45 PM »
How did you get involved with comair?

Well, it all started when my mommy and daddy met and fell in love....
skip a few years...
When I was 12 years old, I decided it would be my dream to fly for Comair
skip a few years...
Went to college, got 2 degrees in aviation, graduated, started working in non-flying positions for Comair, then 4 years later, was hired on as a first officer.

Offline american2492

« Reply #30 on: April 26, 2009, 06:22:08 PM »
Thats pretty cool. I am working on getting my private, then instrument etc.... I am going to be heading to the Air Force Academy so I am looking to fly either C-17s or KC-135s and then eventually work for an airline. What is the best way to get involved for getting hired at an airline?

Offline 727fubar

« Reply #31 on: June 20, 2009, 03:10:04 PM »
Did someone really say Comair was a top carrier???

DL in the pre western era (70's and early 80's) was a class act, aviation professionals that started at entry level positions and worked their way up. That said;

Comair was a good commuter carrier until DL took control. Most of the management that DL sent over to run Comair were rewarded for their political tricks at DL with positions at Comair. They were no longer effective at DL as their coworkers did not trust them, they burnt too many bridges.

I feel for the long time Comair folks, they were raped and pillaged by their new parent company DL.

As far as top carrier, the majors fall short of any kudos’s. They are ranked next to Greyhound!

I am not trying to insult anyone that works for any airline (major or commuter) or FAA for that matter.

Having cut my teeth on DC8-51's, I remember the good old days and am saddened by what these great carriers have done to themselves.