airtraffic

Author Topic: Question for the ATC guys: What kind of headests do you use?  (Read 12567 times)

Offline MKJS Super Controller

Question for the ATC guys: What kind of headests do you use?
« on: April 30, 2010, 01:34:39 PM »
Greetings guys!

I'm a radar approach controller (MKJS Sangster Radar) here in Jamaica and I have a question I'd like to ask the guys at JFK or at any other facility. We're currently in the process of replacing our current

Plantronics H251

and H251N headsets.

We are getting the opportunity to select the replacement and I'd love to know what you guys recommend. We're currently thinking about sticking with the Plantronics brand and going for something like the MS200:

We're don't have to stick with Plantronics by any means, so feel free to recommend or comment on another brand. Thanks much guys. Keep them close, keep them safe!

~Richard.

Offline mklatval

Re: Question for the ATC guys: What kind of headests do you use?
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2010, 04:20:36 PM »

Most controllers in the US use the Plantronics Starset. I've heard they are issuing a different set now but have not seen any at my facility.

Offline atcman23

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2010, 07:40:38 AM »
I've seen all three in use throughout the FAA, with the most popular being the Starset.  The earpiece on the Starset differ and I personally use the H251 because I can't place the earpiece in my ear otherwise I'll end up with an ear infection.  Plantronics is a great brand and they produce quality headsets.  They have several different types, try browsing their website if you haven't done so already.

Offline sykocus

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2010, 09:20:02 AM »
I've used the 4th one ever since it was issued to me in the air force. I remember it taking some getting used, to but the most streamlined of the designs. I don't like the top two. Partly from my air force days. We called them "mickey mouse headsets" i.e. toys.

djmodifyd

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2010, 07:22:23 PM »
I use the H81 Tristar..also made my platronics

Its comfortable..although a bit quiet...i have to turn my volume up a bit higher than with other styles of headsets.