Author Topic: "FAM" flights return for controllers  (Read 12205 times)

Offline dave

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
    • LiveATC.net

Offline karbunkle

Re: "FAM" flights return for controllers
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2011, 09:37:43 AM »
Poorly worded article.  We controllers never flew the airplanes, or sat in the pilot's seat.  We were in the cockpit to observe and ask and answer questions.

I agree, though.  Long overdue.  The lack of casual conversation between ATC and pilots has hurt the fine-tuning of aircraft movement.  I learned quite a bit of what to expect out of a flight crew on the many FAMs that I took.  And likewise, it's refreshing to have pilots visit the tower (or ARTCC/TRACON) to see what's going on on our end.

Offline n0qxw

Re: "FAM" flights return for controllers
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2011, 05:54:49 PM »
And likewise, it's refreshing to have pilots visit the tower (or ARTCC/TRACON) to see what's going on on our end.

As a student pilot, my 'class' (the instructor and one other student) just recently did a field trip to the tower at our local class C (KBIL).  It was actually quite edifying.  As I progress as a student and later as a pilot, I hope to continue such visits as a routine (possibly even once a quarter, assuming local management is amenable) to stay 'in tune' with the local controllers and issues.