airtraffic

Author Topic: Possible pilot deviation. ...any insight on this from an expert ATC controller?  (Read 42930 times)

Offline Falcon900driver

We were in cruise on our assigned and cleared route at our correct flight level.we then realized we had no atc contact....long story short...we regained atc communication...the were later given a phone number to call ....we did so from the airplane!!! The manager said he would  fill his report and he didnt know if they would pursue it or not,but he didnt seem too concerned....we were off the air 17 minutes ,we didnt deviate from our cleared route of flight or flight level heading or anything. We both filed a NASA report......
Is there any meat on this bone?

Offline N/A

« Last Edit: June 16, 2021, 02:55:50 PM by None. »

Offline Falcon900driver

Thanks forvthe imput... We were level 410 on our flight plan it was vmc on an ifr flightplan ( night)
We did not lose the radios , rather we either went out of range or the volume was too far down , when we realized it we got on the horn to recover communcations..and we effectively did ...
Ao that was 15+ minutes off the air...
It was an inadvertent mistake , but it wast like heading or altitude bust in my view...after all we were on our eared flight plan route.

Offline N/A

« Last Edit: June 16, 2021, 02:55:04 PM by None. »

Offline JetScan1

I'm not an aviation lawyer or an expert in FAA matters but as a pilot myself I'm interested in the outcome here.

Some reading on the subject in FLYING magazine.

http://www.flyingmag.com/pilots-places/pilots-adventures-more/faa-after-your-ticket?page=0,1

JO 7210.632 Appendix A, Mandatory Occurrence Report Criteria, A-7. Communication. Any instance in which communication with an aircraft was not established or not maintained as expected/intended, and results in alternative control actions or additional notifications by ATC, or a flight crew, or in a landing without a clearance.

http://www.faa.gov/documentlibrary/media/order/jo7210.632.pdf

2150.3B, FAA Compliance and Enforcement Program. Fig. B-3-h. Other Flight Violations. (23) Failure to maintain radio watch while under IFR. Certificate Action: 30- to 60- day Suspension

http://www.faa.gov/regulations_policies/orders_notices/index.cfm/go/document.information/documentid/17213

Based on the above FAA docs it does appear to be a punishable offence but I've never heard of anyone actually being violated for it ?

Let us know how it goes.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2014, 06:33:03 PM by JetScan1 »

Offline Falcon900driver

Well we both filed a NASA report ....there was no separation issues either,at least we were not told of one,we were just told we were out of contact for 15 minutes,amd later told to call the center,which we did..we did not change our route if flight in any manner....
I know one pilot busting altitudes out of phoenix on a SID and he was given remedial instruction,you would think there would be more serious consequences.

Offline jermscentral

I work in a tower, but I've seen NORDO ops on the radar, and we usually have them happen at least once a day in the terminal environment. From someone that punched in the wrong frequency (120.5 instead of 120.05 just on the tower frequency) to someone that just doesn't hear us call them, it happens.

Did anyone try to contact you on 121.5? We hear that chatter all day since we have that frequency monitored on loudspeaker in the tower 24/7 -- "UALXXX, this is AALXX on guard. Contact Kansas City Center on ###.##."

You were most likely advised to call the facility just to make sure there wasn't any neglect or nefarious reason for you to be NORDO. If you weren't a factor, they were probably just letting you fly for a while and would call you closer to either a necessary frequency change or potential conflict. Then, if you couldn't be contacted, they'd probably try to call you on guard before labeling you as NORDO and calling the Domestic Events Network. If the supervisor that you called didn't push the issue, then you shouldn't have anything to worry about.

Offline davolijj

• MMAC ARSR OKC
The guidance we're seeing in the centers is for QC departments to file pilot deviations on all IFR aircraft that are NORDO for more than 15 minutes (after they check the tapes and make sure the aircraft wasn't given a wrong frequency).