Author Topic: Positions at Chicago TRACON  (Read 14694 times)

Offline MrClutch

Positions at Chicago TRACON
« on: April 26, 2013, 05:29:57 PM »
I love listening to KORD approach, but I'm a little unclear on the positions. Arrival, feeder and trip are listed (various gates), but final isn't.

Can anyone tell me what each of these does, in relation to A/C handed off from Center, and before being given to final?

Offline ogogog

Re: Positions at Chicago TRACON
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2013, 11:06:07 PM »
I love listening to KORD approach, but I'm a little unclear on the positions. Arrival, feeder and trip are listed (various gates), but final isn't.

Can anyone tell me what each of these does, in relation to A/C handed off from Center, and before being given to final?

at C90 the final positions are called Arrival, East, West, Center when on west flow or East and West on all other configs. the Trip controller is most of the time East Feeder who works the third or trip rwy final. a trip rwy is not a full rwy that is its a 20 A/C an hour to take over flow traffic the 2 full rwys cant accept. Feeders take hand offs from the center from the far arrival fix and feed A/C to what ever rwy the hand off controllers need the A/C to go to depending on the traffic at the time.Arrivals take handoffs directly from the center from the near fix if feeder is open or both fixes if feeder is closed.position open and close during the day depending on traffic.

OG/ATCS
ZAU/C90
Retired

Offline ogogog

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2013, 09:19:47 AM »
oh and i should add that C90 is going to change to a Feeder/Final config like A80(KATL) tracon dose where all handoffs will be taken by the feeder controllers even the close in fix before being handoff to arrival(final). i retired in 2009 so i dont know if thay have done this yet but it was pretty unpopular with the controllers.

OG

Offline MrClutch

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2013, 08:56:56 PM »
Thanks!
I don't think it's been changed yet, because the audio is as you described.

Offline MarkTusa

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2013, 03:52:20 PM »
Hi ogogog-

Along similar listening lines, and during bad weather at O'hare I have heard the approach controllers direct the pilots to proceed to the "Converging Runway 4 approach"
It seems to happen only during ILS conditions.

As a true layman I read that the controllers have gone to one runway only for access as it seems there is a great reduction in air speed required by the pilots from the controllers.

I'm sure this is not accurate but could you clarify one you have a moment. Big Thanks!

Mark