Author Topic: Odd QF7 Track  (Read 7387 times)

Offline smark220

Odd QF7 Track
« on: June 02, 2017, 02:27:08 PM »
Qantas 7 from SYD - DFW usually flies over my house on a right downwind for landing on 18. However, today they deviated well east of course, made an unusual 360 well south of DFW, over flew DFW, then entered a right downwind.

Any ideas as to why this was so different and included that odd 360? I don't think weather wasn't a factor. I live near Ranger VORTAC (FUZ) west of DFW...

Offline FLLflyboy

Re: Odd QF7 Track
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2017, 11:01:01 PM »
I would imagine that large area of thunderstorms had a lot to do with it.

Offline BK88

Re: Odd QF7 Track
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2017, 09:37:04 AM »
The Ft Worth Center and Regional Approach Traffic Management collaboratively determine which arrivals are open and closed due to weather.  Once the aircraft is on the designated route, the controller's job is separate (maintain "legal" separation of 5 miles or 1000 feet, plus wake turbulence for behind the A380) and give requested spacing to the next controller.  It looks like they didn't have the appropriate sequence spacing into the DFW metroplex, and had to "spin" the A380.  The more "miles in trail" gives the aircraft in front more room to maneuver around the weather without losing IFR separation.  You have to remember, you are only seeing one piece of a much larger puzzle.