airtraffic

Author Topic: Military controller  (Read 6983 times)

Offline Jkearns14

Military controller
« on: September 07, 2011, 03:39:14 AM »
I just learned I have to change jobs in the Marine Corps. I am very interested in the Air Traffic Control field. I am thirty now and have ten years to retirement. What are my options when I get out? I know there is an age restriction with a loophole for military but it is unclear on the process or even possibility of an FFA job. Thanks for insight. Also, any USMC ATC with information for me would be appreciated.

Offline davolijj

• MMAC ARSR OKC
Re: Military controller
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2011, 09:36:03 AM »
I know there is some sort of loophole for military controllers to get past the age 31 rule but I'm not sure about the specifics.  I was thinking it was only for Retired military personnel, and there are some restrictions on facility of preference, but again I'm not sure.

I will say I think you've made a fine choice with ATC in the Marine Corps.  I work with Military ATC veterans every day from all branches of the Armed Forces, and the Marine Corps always stands out as the best.  The Marine controllers seem to be the only ones who consistently know what they're doing, without exception.

Thanks for your service brother, and Semper Fi!

Offline eltors0

Re: Military controller
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2011, 09:54:31 AM »
Hey there, I am a Marine controller currently. There are multiple contract tower and radar facilities available that do not require you to be apart of the FAA. They are usually sourced to Serco, Midwest or even the DoD. Most of these only provide you thirty days to get your qualifications or you are done though. If ya have any questions about Marine ATC, shoot a PM.