Author Topic: KCDW to KOXC via Hudson River Skyline Route question  (Read 16357 times)

Offline gkaplan

KCDW to KOXC via Hudson River Skyline Route question
« on: November 23, 2012, 05:32:30 PM »
I would like to depart KCDW to the south towards EWR, then use the northbound Hudson River Skyline Route up towards Alpine Tower, then onwards to KOXC. Since the airspace is busy and almost immediately after departure I would have to start contacting KEWR tower, I'm wondering if it is possible to do all the work ahead of time by requesting flight following from clearance delivery or ground at KCDW so that the plans are already in motion.

I can imagine asking clearance/ground for "Flight following to KOXC at [altitude] via the northbound hudson river skyline route". Is that possible?

My goal would be to fly the IFR transition route as opposed to flying lower in the VFR corridor

Any pointers to make this as efficient as possible for both me and ATC? Thanks!

Offline Jason

• CFI/CFII
Re: KCDW to KOXC via Hudson River Skyline Route question
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2012, 11:37:26 AM »
It would probably be easier to depart CDW east toward the Alpine tower, call approach on 127.6 and join the skyline route southbound to the VZ Bridge, then do a 180 back up the river. Depends on the runway configuration in use though. Once you're past the alpine tower going northbound you can ask for on course and they may or may not have you remain clear of the HPN class Delta.  Coming out of TEB I usually ask to transition the HPN Delta at 2,500 ft and then climb on course northeastbound.  Also, the skyline route is a VFR route.

Hope this helps.

Offline MikeNYC

Re: KCDW to KOXC via Hudson River Skyline Route question
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2012, 07:11:26 PM »
I'd think the easiest thing to do would be to depart to the south-southwest and ask for an early frequency change. Call up EWR on 127.85 and ask to join the Newark Route east, overhead, then Hudson River northbound with flight following to OXC. Have a copy of the NYC Heli Chart handy. It can be very helpful in getting around the NYC Class B at low altitudes, when straying from the Hudson River.

Doubt you can request flight following from clearance delivery at CDW. Some Class D's provide it, others don't. I was once told that only Class D airports that provide "Stage 6 Services" would give FF from the ground, but not sure how Stage 6 is determined or what the other stages are.

Newark's pretty friendly to deal with and this is a straightforward request. They'll probably tell you to join the Newark Route eastbound, maintain 1000', fly over Runway 4 or 22 numbers depending on what's in use, then join Hudson north. Around Chelsea Piers, EWR will hand you off to LGA, who will hand you off to NY Approach somewhere between the GWB and Alpine Tower, and they'll take care of you from there.

Can't help you for IFR, but as Jason says, Skyline is VFR.