airtraffic

Author Topic: Jetblue pilots showboating @ SXM  (Read 63126 times)

Offline StuSEL

Re: Jetblue pilots showboating @ SXM
« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2012, 11:31:22 AM »
This isn't an aircraft carrier cat shot where you go into afterburner, check the controls, salute and launch.

When I read this, I asked myself "Didn't he already say that?" Turns out I wasn't losing my mind after all. Phew.

This isn't an aircraft carrier cat shot where you go into afterburner, check the controls, salute and launch.

We see the crew waving the elevator during this extended engine run up. As I have cited before using official Airbus documentation "Before-takeoff check list completion before moving into the active runway is
required to avoid holding time on the active runway". To argue that there is another way is to say disregard the checklist and training and do as you feel (oh, and just for you sunny- in a non emergency situation).

Food for thought: What if avoiding time spent on the active runway isn't required in this scenario? That particular section of the checklist would then not apply. You can disregard the checklist, or instance, if your scenario dictates that it would be appropriate. For instance, when I park the Cessna, we don't set the parking brakes, despite an instruction in the checklist to do so. That's because we have to get out and reposition the aircraft by hand, or the linemen need to tow the aircraft and wouldn't be able to disengage the parking brake after we lock the plane's doors.

Offline mikenftsmith

Re: Jetblue pilots showboating @ SXM
« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2012, 01:17:59 PM »
Quote from: iskyfly
So far, we have had several claims that running up the engines to full power while standing on the brakes is standard short field take off procedure for an A320. I have yet to see any credible citations that attests to this.

I would be obliged if you can show me the short-field takeoff procedure for an A320. Easier still- Do you even know what the takeoff procedure for an A320 is?

I'd take that as a no?
I don't know how we can conclude from this video that the pilot is "standing on his brakes" and doing an extended engine run up. The last time I see the tail of the aircraft he appears to be in position and hold, then we see the jet blast,one could assume without being in the cockpit that this is the amount of thrust needed to begin the takeoff roll.