airtraffic

Author Topic: How to maximize hobbs time  (Read 17339 times)

Offline totaldigger

How to maximize hobbs time
« on: October 10, 2011, 01:28:13 PM »
I am interested in renting a Cessna 172 and the FBO charges by Hobbs time. I am wondering if there is a way to maximize that time. I have heard (with tach time, I think) that you can reduce the meter time by running the engine at a lower RPM. I am in no way trying to cheat the FBO, but I do want to make the most of what little flight time I can afford.

So, does Hobbs time run the same regardless of RPM? Is there any way to maximize the time or is it all the same regardless of conditions? If it is all the same, than it make sense to keep the speed up when cruising, right?

Offline Marty Becker

Re: How to maximize hobbs time
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2011, 06:16:53 PM »
According to this,  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hobbs_meter , the hobbs meter can be setup to start logging time by various ways.

Offline Jason

• CFI/CFII
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2011, 04:34:57 PM »
The hobbs meter is usually activated by oil pressure or when the alternators are powering the electrical system but it depends on the specific aircraft type.

Offline MikeNYC

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2011, 06:05:20 PM »
Pick up a handheld transceiver, and use it to get ATIS info before starting the engine. If you need to contact a fuel truck after landing for a top-off, use the handheld. I figure if I'm saving .1 on the Hobbes on flights, where I rent from that's $18 each time. Handheld pays for itself quickly, and you've got a backup in case your electrical system fails.

If you're paying by wet, fuel included Hobbes Hour (constant increments while engine running or however actuated), it makes sense to cruise fast. No sense in trying to save fuel unless you need the range. If you're paying by Tach Hour, that's different. That's RPM-dependent, so you'll run up less tach hours at slower cruise and while on the ground waiting for clearance or release.

Speaking of waiting on the ground, if you're at a field with a fair bit of IFR traffic/bizjets, consider requesting an intersection takeoff if there's a bizjet at the full length hold short. I've gotten stuck behind jets several times that are waiting for release or are getting new routing. During my PPL training, flying one of my long XC's, I waited 25 minutes (about $70 for me) for a jet in front of me to get released. My instructor later told me about using an intersection.

Also, seems obvious...organize your cockpit fully before starting the engine! Doesn't make much sense to fire the engine then start arranging sectionals, kneeboard, etc.

Offline masterkeymaster

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2011, 02:24:09 PM »
The best way is to join a flying club, that way you pay according to tach time witch reacts to engine throttle. You pay more up front but you save in the long run. Joining a flying club means you own a share of the airplanes.