airtraffic

Author Topic: How does ATC record/archive communications?  (Read 12001 times)

Offline frylock

How does ATC record/archive communications?
« on: March 18, 2014, 11:54:03 AM »
I assume the days of big reel-to-reel magnetic tape dinosaurs is long gone and it's now some kind of digital arrangement.

I'm wondering in the context of the MH370 situation and the reliability of comparing ACARS timestamps and ATC voice communications...

Offline jermscentral

Re: How does ATC record/archive communications?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2014, 11:48:18 PM »
In the US, it's done on digital recorders, and the audio is kept for (IIRC) 45 days before it's overwritten or copied to an optical disc due to an investigation. Everything is searchable by date, time, and position worked, so we can drill down to the second when searching for something.

Internationally? Sometimes I think this site may be the only record of some locations.

Offline Twocky61

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2014, 04:48:55 AM »
A side issue to recording ATC/pilot audio:

Here on LiveATC there are no live feeds from any uk atc/airport such as London Heathrow London Gatwick etc.; the nearest feeds are from Dublin, Shannon & Cork in Ireland

Does uk ATC not release their footage for internet streaming?

Thanks

Offline RonR

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2014, 11:51:14 AM »
Unfortunately, the UK has a law that prohibits listening to and/or streaming of any ATC communications.  It's for this reason that there are no Liveatc feeds from the UK.  And it's also the same reason there are no Liveatc feeds from Germany or Italy.

Offline InterpreDemon

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2014, 04:07:01 PM »
I think that it is illegal to monitor ANY private (non-public broadcast) radio communications in GB, including police, fire and commercial, such as Fed-X, etc.