airtraffic

Author Topic: Help with IFR/VFR Clearances? (Nothing too major)  (Read 27435 times)

PiedmontAirways

Help with IFR/VFR Clearances? (Nothing too major)
« on: September 22, 2013, 08:27:28 PM »
Hello guys,

I am currently practicing my IFR/VFR clearances. I have been practicing for about a week now, and I think its time to move to practice the tower position. Can you guys give these clearances in an ATC point of view so I can compare them to my clearances to see if they are right? Thank you all so much.

Greetings everyone,

I am practicing my IFR/VFR clearances using the SWEATBOX tool on the VATSIM ATC Radar, VRC. I was just wondering
if any of you guys could give a clearance for each of the routes I provided? I am doing this because I am trying to compare my answers. Thank you all, it is really a big help for me.

1.  Pilot is at KBUR, and is requesting a VFR departure to the east in a learjet. Callsign is N123SX.

2. IFR Clearance:
AWE421, B733, KBUR-KPHX, CRUISING ALTITUDE IS FL330, ROUTE IS POM PSP PKE PXR

3 IFR Clearance:
QXE292, CR2, KBUR-KPDX, CRUISING: FL340, VNY8 GMN EHF J65 CZQ LIN J189 LMT MOXEE6 IS ROUTE

5: IFR Clearance:

SKW6141, CR2, KLAX-KSJC, FL340, ROUTE: VTU5 RZS

6: This pilot calls requesting an IFR clearance. KLAX is using east operations.

SWA721, B737, KLAX-KLAS CRUISING: FL270,  LOOP6 DAG KEPEC2

7:IFR Clearance:

BTA7755, E45X, KLAX-KRNO, FL350, GMN4 EHF J5 TILTS TARVR1

8 IFR Clearance:

EJA814, LR35, KLAX-KSDL, FL270, PDZ PSP PKE PXR  IS ROUTE

9: IFR Clearance:

EGF199, SF34, KLAX-KSBA, CRUISING ALTITUDE IS 4,000. NO ROUTE GIVIN.

10:  This pilot calls for clearance to Palomar and advises his type aircraft is a Cessna four twenty one slant alpha.

CALLSIGN: N44QW

11: IFR Clearance:

SKW6004, E120, KLAX-KSAN, 13,000, DIRECT.

Thank you all for helping and giving me examples. Much appreciated.

Offline spades

Re: Help with IFR/VFR Clearances? (Nothing too major)
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2013, 12:10:16 AM »
Well, without seeing what they filed it's kind of hard to give a clearance.  I'm not a tower guy so I'm going to stay away from #1 but #2 for example (I'm a center guy so this would be a clearance off the ground from an uncontrolled airport):

"AWE421 cleared from the Bob Hope airport (Center guys say from) to the Phoenix Sky Harbor airport via as filed.  Climb and maintain 5,000 (or whatever you want), expect FL330 10 minutes after departure, squawk 1234.  Clearance void if not off by 2300, if not off by 2300, advise LA Center not later than 2305 of intentions...center time now 2250 and 1/2 (omit the time check if issuing through flight service).  Contact LA Center on 123.4 leaving local traffic pattern."

Now, let's say he filed direct then it would be:

"Cleared...via direct POM, direct PSP, direct PKE, direct PXR, direct"

Now, let's say he filed BUR-POM-PKE-PXR-PHX and so you want to add in PSP.

"Cleared...via direct POM, direct PSP, direct PKE, rest of route unchanged"

If you're adding a fix then you have to keep clearing him until you tie him back to a fix that was already in his flight plan.

---

Having said that, as a center guy, if I need to change someone's route then I'm not going to give it to him on the ground.  I don't care if he was filed direct LGA.  I would always give him the clearance via as filed and then amend his route once I got him on radar and above the MIA.  

When you change their routes on the ground then you need to add in extra phraseology and put it back on the pilot for them to say that the clearance will allow them to maintain terrain and obstruction avoidance.  Likewise, if they are off the ground and I've got them on radar at 3,000 but my MIA is 4,000 then I'm going to wait until there at 4,000 before I change their route because you can't tell them turn below the MIA.

----

As for pop-up VFR's requesing IFR's without a flight plan on file then if I'm busy then I'm going to either tell him to standby until I'm done or I'm just going to tell him to contact flight service and file a flight plan.  If I'm not busy then I'll ask him:

"N123X, are you qualified and capable of IFR flight?"

When he says then I'll issue him his clearance and then tell him to give me his abbreviated flight plan which would be his aircraft's color, phone number, home base, etc...

« Last Edit: September 30, 2013, 12:15:49 AM by spades »

Offline N/A

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2013, 12:27:22 PM »
Any reason why you don't just ask the mentors/instructors at (v)ZLA since you just copied the questions from one of their clearance delivery exams?
« Last Edit: October 07, 2013, 02:01:47 PM by swa4678 »

Offline tyketto

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2013, 01:53:05 PM »

Hmm... I would suggest looking some of this up on the ZLA Website for VATSIM. A lot of the material is there, especially when it comes to clearance exams. There's plethora of information there.

BL.

Offline StuSEL

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2013, 02:32:33 PM »
Classic.